It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all. Thanks for letting me join. My daughter's boyfriend has been a part of our lives for quite a while. He lived with us for 7mos and recently went into a 28 day rehab program. We suspected he had relapsed but it was not confirmed until he entered rehab. Regardless, we could see he was doing poorly, depressed and going in the wrong direction. We were very hopeful when he very easily agreed to go to rehab.

He's been there two weeks and on suboxone a little over a week. Last night my daughter when to the family group night and came back very confused and upset. She said he was really out of it, nodding off, hadn't showered and generally seemed the same as when he was using which of course caused her great anxiety. I have encouraged her to give it time and to let him work on his recovery, but I admit to being concerned. Is this a normal state when getting used to suboxone? He is being monitored by a Dr and is also seeing a counselor and going to group meetings every day. I know the tools are there for him to begin a recovery. But I am scared that he will not be able to do the work if he is this out of it every day. He has two more weeks and then can hopefully move into long term residence at the mens sober living house. I guess I am scared that he won't be ready if he is not really functional at this point.

Any feedback, experience, suggestions would be most appreciated. I love him very much and do not inadvertently want to hurt him when I am trying to help.

Post subject: Rehab
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 pm 

Hi Johnnamjh,

Welcome to our site. You have me a little confused. Does this rehab facility use Suboxone for maintenance or for detox? A lot of rehab places are having opiate patients us it for one week to help with the jump off their drug of choice. It is normally around 2mgs and should not cause any nodding off. My guess was that he hasn't had any sleep and was nodding off in the daytime.

If he is being monitored by physicians and nurses then I'd let it go. Unless they are giving him a large dose of Suboxone that shouldn't happen, and I doubt they are giving him a lot.

I would do the wait and see approach.

Welcome once more,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow timely reply. I think it was supposed to be longer term. The dose was 8mg. However apparently someone attending meetings at the facility sold him more suboxone. So we are at the ER right now. The staff suspected that something was wrong and when they asked him he freaked out and punched the walls and threatened to kill himself. He is getting a psych eval but they are keeping his bed for him, even if he's gone a few days. I will let the professionals do their jobs! Thanks.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Someone attending meetings at the facility?!! What an asshole. He'll probably get away with it too. Dealers in the rooms seem to operate with impunity.

It wouldn't surprise me if the rehab has done a urine drug screen. That may provide more answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They did a screen at the hosp and gave the results to the rehab staff that picked him up. Hopefully he can move forward now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Oh wow, that is just horrible! I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Please keep us informed as to his well being. Again I am so sorry.....[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. We appreciate the prayers. He ended up back in the ER tonight and was admitted to the psych ward after he became belligerent and threatening. It was scary but they finally saw how bad off he is. We think he was still heavily under the influence and at this point he needs a detox and some mental health support. We are truly having to live one day at a time here.