It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am getting some dental work done (root canal) and the dentist prescribed vicodin (I did not tell him about suboxone - it typically complicates things).
I know all about the suboxone blocking receptors/etc (been on suboxone over a year and a half) and the whole process with that and that is not what I'm looking for advice on (so i dont really want this to go that direction)... My question is more about the insurance/prescription filling part of things.
I have the prescription for vics but am debating filling it. I am a huge wuss when it comes to pain and have a low tolerance for pain (and hate the dentist) so I am really worried I will be in pain and want to fill it in case I need it...
however, my insurance does pay for my sub prescription and I am conerned that if I submit to fill this vicodin that it could possibly cause issues with filling my subs in the future (which obviously would not be worth it). However, I do not want to request to pay cash for the vics as I know that can throw red flags. I honestly dont want to do anything "sketchy" (and definitely am not trying to). My biggest concern is causing problems with my subs in the future.
Does anyone have any experience with this - filling an opiate presciption legitimately while actively on suboxone? Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My insurance covers sub and in reading through their policy it stated that they would not cover any other narcotics while covering suboxone. You'd probably have to go online to your insurance's web site and see what their policy is. That would be my suggestion. Good luck with the dental work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just go and fill it. A few years back I had same situation
I didn't have any problems. You pay for it. It comes out of your check.
I don't see why it would cause any problems. It's none of the
Pharmacy's business. One time deal. Now if its monthly or becomes
Then pharmacy/insurance can query. But one time. I doubt it.

Snake

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:52 am 

It's worth mentioning that hydrocodone (Vicodin) is very cheap and wouldn't cost much if you wanted to avoid submitting it to your insurance.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just did this last week, when I had a tooth pulled. I actually had to get the script of lortab 5 out of the trash in my van to go and get filled...but I did fill it on my insurance. Same insurance as my Suboxone. Cost me $2.64. 16 lortab 5.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, Vicodin or Lortab whatever is really cheap around here. The name brand of course is a lot more expensive, but my mother gets 90 a month and I think that she pays 15 bucks for hers BUT she gets them down at the little pharmacy and for some reason they are higher there than anywhere else. I told her to go to Rite Aid in town and get them there, that they are under 10 bucks.
I know when I was filling them left and right for whatever might occurred, I was getting them for about 7 bucks to 8 bucks a bottle for about 60. That has been about three years ago though. I do know that they are around 4 bucks at Walmart because I checked the 4 dollar list for my husbands anti biotics and I still look for all kinds of stuff when I check those. I guess its something that will always be in the back of my mind.
I am a wuss too when it comes to tolerating pain. They make fun about how low my pain tolerance is, that I cant even stump a toe. I am going to have to go to the dentist as well here soon, and I am dreading it something awful. THey told me to taper down because I will have to be put under when I have my teeth taken out. All of mine have to be cut out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

pitbullmomma34 wrote:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, Vicodin or Lortab whatever is really cheap around here. The name brand of course is a lot more expensive, but my mother gets 90 a month and I think that she pays 15 bucks for hers BUT she gets them down at the little pharmacy and for some reason they are higher there than anywhere else. I told her to go to Rite Aid in town and get them there, that they are under 10 bucks.
I know when I was filling them left and right for whatever might occurred, I was getting them for about 7 bucks to 8 bucks a bottle for about 60. That has been about three years ago though. I do know that they are around 4 bucks at Walmart because I checked the 4 dollar list for my husbands anti biotics and I still look for all kinds of stuff when I check those. I guess its something that will always be in the back of my mind.
I am a wuss too when it comes to tolerating pain. They make fun about how low my pain tolerance is, that I cant even stump a toe. I am going to have to go to the dentist as well here soon, and I am dreading it something awful. THey told me to taper down because I will have to be put under when I have my teeth taken out. All of mine have to be cut out.

IF I weren't embarrassed beyond belief at how atrocious my mouth looks, I'd show you what mine look like and scare the living hell out of you...but point being, I go and have my teeth snatched out, the latest, last week, being an EYE tooth...the REALLY long teeth, on top, that are mostly nestled into your sinus cavity and have a root that makes your butthole tighten as they pull it -- like it literally has a microscopic attachment to the anus I think...and when they snatch it out..you feel it, anally speaking.
But I don't take extra pain meds...I don't slack off my subs a day or two before going....usually...like last week, when I went...I just come straight home, take a half a sub or so..then I lay down. But then again, my normal dosing of subs is 1/5 of a film at once. I cut them with a pair of scissors into 5 equally-sized pieces, and I normally take these 1/5's thoughout the day. So taking a 1/2 is a little more of a dose than I normally take at once...up to my 3/day limit. You'd be surprised how well sub helps with just pain...especially if you take it incrementally through the day instead of taking an entire 8mg strip at 8am, and another at 2pm, and another at 8pm. This is just my experience and everyone is different, but I thought I'd just throw this out for experience-sake.

I actually took a pic with my phone of the eye tooth once it was pulled and laying on the dentist's tacklebox/platter/next to his PLucking pliers.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My insurance covers my subutex (was on suboxone) and I had a surgery so I needed to be on percocet for a few days. They covered that as well, no questions asked. I came off the suboxone a few days before so it wouldn't block the other opiates from working though. I have Anthem if that helps at all.