It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm prescribed 8mg suboxone twice daily. The time has come where I have to serve my time for a dui. I'm so scared already, then I found out I can't take my subs. Should I try to ween myself off or should I try to double dose before I go in? I read that worked for someone on this forum for a five day jail stint but they were used to taking only 4mg daily and I'm taking 4x that much a day. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you sooo much for any feedback!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:29 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi elleymack - I'm sorry it's time to pay your dues but it's part of being a responsible adult and hopefully it will go by faster than you think it will. In regards to your question, so you're going in for 4 days. But you don't say how much time you have before you're going in? That would be really important to know. But I'll assume it's a worse case scenario for the purpose of this reply.

If you're going in within the next couple of days to a week, I would suggest taking one final large dose right before you go in, maybe right before you walk into the jail or court room. I'm not a doctor but I do know from all of the research I've done that suboxone is a safe medication. If you took 32mg's right before you went in, that might tide you over until you got out. Just make sure whoever is picking you up has a dose on them so that you can take it immediately after you are released.

Any longer than 4 to 5 days and you will probably go through withdrawal. I'd like to say it won't be that bad but I just don't know for sure. I've never tried to come off buprenorphine before. I know you don't want to be in jail of all places while you're sick. I know it wouldn't be as bad as heroin or oxycontin or morphine withdrawal. I've been through those over and over during my addiction. I learned how to ride it out.

Good luck and please let us know if we can be of any more help. Take care!! - OM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:47 am 

elley how much time will u have to pull?

If ur only going to pull a few days, if I were in ur situation, I'd just take my dose before going in but that's if it's a few days. I'd feel better knowing how long you'll be there.

I can imagine how scared u must be and it sucks u can't take ur medication as prescribed. My county jail doesn't allow ppl to take their buprenorphine either from what I hear from others at my clinic. If it's just a few days though, u will be ok I think. There's ppl run short on their meds sometimes and have to go a few days without before their next doctor appointment, so maybe u can look at it like that.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

About a year ago I had a patient do 8 days. BUT, they were able to do it on weekends instead of consecutively. No withdrawal or problems with medications at the jail. Could you ask to spread your time out? Some judges prefer that as it doesn't interfere as much with employment and may have more impact by more disruption of a persons life.
I don't know if doubling your dose right before going in would do much or not. If you did it would not leave you short so perhaps worth it. I agree that it would be a good idea to have someone meet you with a dose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys thanks for the replies!!! Oops sorry... I only have to do 4 days. So that's why I'm thinking to dose up but it could be dangerous lol I'm just asking what you would do in my situation. Thanks again!! My

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:11 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi Elleymack,
When do you have to go in ( how many days from now)? I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I think we would like to know. It may be worth doubling or increasing your dose. In reality it probably won't help too much but may just keep a little more in your body for a little longer. It wouldn't be dangerous because the respiratory depression side effects that cause overdose level off around the ceiling dose. Plus, some people are prescribed upo 32 mg.

On the other hand Buprenorphine has a half life of 37-72 hours, so withdrawal may not even start for a few days, and when it does, as OM says it's not nearly as intense as short acting opiates. If you were going to be in jail for a month or 2 it may be a bit rougher. All in all you may be a bit uncomfortable, but you should be okay. I've never gone through Buprenorphine withdrawal so I'm not an expert, and I get nervous so I'd probably take more before I go in, if nothing else for the placebo effect.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

I suppose it's too late to speak to your doctor? Maybe he can suggest somerthing. I have never had to go 4 days withought my Subs but, from what I have read in this forum, for the longest time, is that Subs stay in your system a long time. When my Dr. retired, he referred me to a new Dr. I was so scared to run out of Subs before the appointment. I was able to go 3 days without Subs and I got them on the 4th. day so maybe you will be alright. Again, like I said, I wish you could ask your doctor.

Good luck, get this 4 day thing over with. Let us know how you did, it could help someone else here if they ever have that problem. Hopefully not.

Good luck. I will be thinking of you.

Queenie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:17 pm 

4 days isn't so bad and once it's done ur going to be rid of knowing this is looming over u, I've been there (not with a dui but probation violation). Speaking only for myself, I'd just take a little bit extra, not a huge bunch extra, and get it done. That's what I would do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:59 am 

You've gotten great advice here. And it won't be dangerous to take some extra because you won't even feel it. You're already taking 16mg a day and that's above the ceiling limit. Taking some extra, like a total of 32mg may just end up helping buprenorphine stay at a good level in your blood so that you don't go into much by way of withdrawals. It can't harm you. It might make you feel more sleepy than usual in the couple hours following when you take it, but it's not going to make you feel any euphoria, if that's what you mean by dangerous.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

elleymack wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the replies!!! Oops sorry... I only have to do 4 days. So that's why I'm thinking to dose up but it could be dangerous lol I'm just asking what you would do in my situation. Thanks again!! My

So what happened???