It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

As some posters have done before, I too am going to apologize in advance for the length of my post. The reason is that all of this is a first for me, and I am brand spankin new to all of it. Any help, and correct information, or experience that relates to this is much appreciated ya'll! Thank you so much in advance

I am brand new to this forum, and have only been on generic soboxone; buprenorphine 8 mg and naloxone 2mg once daily, since march 31st of this year. So, for only about a month and two weeks. My question pertains specifically to me, if it can be answered, which so far from what little I have seen throughout these forums, are in good odds. The information for me has been split, so I thought that I would ask directly to see if anyone may be able to help lessen my worry to my specific situation :).

Here's the situation:

I am 27, been on the generic version of soboxone since the time stated above, and will be having a biopsy in less than two days now. The last time I took soboxone was at about 10pm tonight, and by the time of the surgery, will have about 36 hours off of this drug.

During the month and a half of time that I have been taking Bup., I have gone a full 72 hours before without it, and only had minor withdrawal. The main reason the withdrawel was also very minimal (sweats, and diarrhea) is due to me also being on the drug "neurontin', more specifically, it's generic version gabapentin (600mg).

Personally, I have found that this drug (gabapentin), even-though with the lack of evidence, has something about it's chemical makeup that helps to lessen the physical effects of withdrawal in opioid drugs. Personally, this lessening was true for both the soboxone withdrawal and the oxycodone withdrawal when taking gabapentin. And, I used to take oxycodone for almost three years, before being subscribed the generic soboxone about 45 days ago.

So, now that you have a more painted picture of what I am going through, here is my main question.

My surgeon knows that I am on the buprenorphine 8mg/naloxone 2mg once daily, and recommended that I should stop the use only the day of. However, my soboxone doctor recommended that I should stop two days before, or the 36 hours, which I am, since it is more than the usual surgery.

What exactly should I expect when going through this, the surgery itself with my body on the drug and through anesthesia? How much should I ask for "pain medication" wise, since I have read that my tolerance, or receptors will be blocked; since the surgeon already stated he is giving me percocet for afterward? And what should I expect for the morphine that they will probably give me before or after the surgery? (I have been putting it off, but am next going to be doing deeper research on the abdominal biopsy surgery itself after I post this).

The reason for the surgery is due to the fact that I have "Enlarged Lymph-nodes" in the groin and abdominal areas. And unfortunately, the prognoses is the possibility of "Lymphoma." And that was reached after they did three different scans and tests that were previously ordered leading me up to the surgery in the last month altogether.(An ultrasound, CT scan with contrast, and a three view xray). So, now, I am also not sure if I will be going back on the soboxone after I heal or not either until the results come back from the pathologist.

That is about the who enchilada! Thank you for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you all who seem to know what you are talking about! Much love everyone! And good to be here :).

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Allthings,

Dr. J, a psychiatrist, former anesthesiologist, and the founder of this site has a blog with several articles related to your question. You can get to the blog using the Talk Zone button at the top of the page. I would also recommend reading his story.

Here are a couple of links you may be interested in:
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/best-of-stz/
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxone-pr ... d-surgery/
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/im-on-subox ... e-surgery/

Keep us posted. The more experiences and information we gather the better our knowledge.

Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First off, Good luck on your surgery!
I too, take GAB. I don't know about helping with WD's because I never have them anymore because of Subs. But I do know that GAB increases the levels of GAB and opiates in the blood stream when taken together. I don't know about GAB and Subs, but I would guess that it does the same thing.
( Increase levels of both in bloodstream)
About your surgery? I would talk to everyone involved in your surgery(let everyone know you are on Subs)
There will be more knowledgeable people along shortly.
Goodluck,
Happy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Happyg for your well wishes,

As I stated above however Happy, I have already let all parties know, my surgeon about the drugs, and my Sub doctor abut the surgery weeks in advance. They both know that I am taking both the GENERIC version of soboxone; buprenorphine and naloxone, and the gabapentin. That was one of the first things I did in this whole process, as stated above ;).

On another note, yes, the gabapentin definitely helps with the withdrawals. It has something to do with it's chemical "makeup" that they have yet to fully understand. I wouldn't recommend doing it as an experiment or anything, but it works if you ever have to stop the soboxone like I have as described in the post above. When I take only gabapentin, like a I am now due to the surgery, my withdrawal symptoms are very very minimal.

Thanks!

Allthingswork

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Morphing,

I have also read some of your posts, and thank you for your insight too! I have already gained a wealth of info. on this forum, and I have only been surfing it since last night! The pages that you have posted were definitely very helpful. I will check out Dr. J's Bio, but I have already read the other posts :). I spent about five hours last night before I posted here doing research.

Today, it has already been 18 hours since I stopped the Buprenorphine 8mg and naloxone 2mg, and I feel great! That's what the gabapentin does for me consistently, and is a huge help for my anxiety (which it is prescribed for in the first place.) I appreciate your support! It is a scary situation, so the more facts that I can gather, the better.

I will post again once I heal from the surgery tomorrow! Any more info would me much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Allthingswork

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

I just want to say Good Luck tomorrow and you are in my prayers! Hoping we hear good news net time you post

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:22 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sorry Allthings, I have that "old timers" disease and am kinda "short term" forgetful these days! lol

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:19 am 

I hope you see this before your biopsy tomorrow. If you are being put under for this biopsy the anesthesiologist should come by to see you along with your surgeon. Make sure you let your anesthesiologist know about your opiate tolerance. Make sure that your surgeon recognizes that he needs to prescribe you post op meds that are stronger than he typically prescribes. If he doesn't, make sure you tell your sub doctor so that he can prescribe you extra bupe. Split your bupe into 4 doses a day to take advantage of the analgesic properties of bupe which last from 4 to 6 hours.

One more important thing. Try to speak to the post op nurses!! I had a laproscopic procedure done over a year ago. The surgeon knew I was on sub, the anesthesiologist also knew. The post op nurses had NO CLUE that I was tolerant to opiates. I woke up in a lot of pain and they went through every weak opiate IV push that had NO effect on the pain I was feeling. Make sure that they skip the morphine and go straight to the fentanyl!!

Good luck and I hope you receive good news!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[/color]
Tiki wrote:
Hi

I just want to say Good Luck tomorrow and you are in my prayers! Hoping we hear good news net time you post

Thank you so much Tiki! I need all the prayers I can get :). I will be leaving in about an hour!

God Bless!

Amy,

Thank you for the advice. I printed out our response, just for a reminder and reference, and will make sure I let them all know. Here is the main issue, if the biopsy returns malignant, then I will no longer be on suboxone. But, if not, then my doctor says just to let him know and we will start the regimen all over again :). This is all a first for me, so thank you for the advice, it is a huge help.

Happyg,

It's all good man. I really appreciate your advice :). Haha, my Dad says the same thing. You've earned it lol.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for the advice. I printed out our response, just for a reminder and reference, and will make sure I let them all know. Here is the main issue, if the biopsy returns malignant, then I will no longer be on suboxone. But, if not, then my doctor says just to let him know and we will start the regimen all over again :). This is all a first for me, so thank you for the advice, it is a huge help.

Happyg,

It's all good man. I really appreciate your advice :). Haha, my Dad says the same thing. You've earned it lol.[/quote]

Hello, you are on a modest dose of Suboxone and it can be used for pain. Generally there is often not a great deal of pain with Lymphomas during early treatment and if remission is gained. If you were prescribed Suboxone for addiction due to the 3 years of oxycodone use how would you manage a full opiate again? That could take some serious planning and assistance
good luck, hope it went well today.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, you are on a modest dose of Suboxone and it can be used for pain. Generally there is often not a great deal of pain with Lymphomas during early treatment and if remission is gained. If you were prescribed Suboxone for addiction due to the 3 years of oxycodone use how would you manage a full opiate again? That could take some serious planning and assistance
good luck, hope it went well today.[/quote]

Thanks Doc,

Yes sir. We are not sure exactly what is going on atm, but the surgery went well. I was again prescribed opiates, since this was a very invasive surgery. Unfortunately the surgeon found that I have a large quantity of lymph nodes that are enlarged, and it was more than just the one he took out. And yes sir, lymphoma cancer is blessedly one of the easiest cancers to beat, but we are just unsure exactly what it is at this point. I am very comfortable actually with being able to use the prescribed medication as prescribed, without any relapse. I have a very high pain tolerance, like most who post here, and suboxone for me anyway, did nothing for the pain I was experiencing before the surgery. My suboxone doctor, who has been in the field for a very long time as well, agreed that I would benefit more from the opiates than from just suboxone to treat the post surgery pain. He said if it were something like just a knee, or corrective surgery, then he would like me to stay on it. But, since it is more complex, we have ceased the suboxone all together until we find out if I have cancer or not.

I have gone over the three day period as well off of the suboxone, and had minimal withdrawal from the suboxone, although as you've stated before, my threshold against the opiates is high, and I had to take a higher dose in order to gain pain relief, but unfortunately, I am still in pain. I have contacted my surgeon though, and will be getting a refill.

To be honest doc, if I do have cancer, I probably will be off of suboxone permanently, and focus on other methods of pain relief.

Thank you so much for this resource here! It has been a tremendous help! If, which I hope, I do not have lymphoma, then I will begin the regimen again of suboxone. But for now, I am just focused on moving forward in healing from the surgery and relaxing.

Sincerely,

Allthingswork87

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you have shown me love and support here on this thread through a difficult time! It has given me hope, and allowed me to learn so much more about suboxone, and also what I needed to do in order to be successful in the healing process. You guys rock!

The surgery went well, but as I stated to doc, they did find multiple enlarged lymph-nodes. The area is approximately a 5 to 6 inch strain of nodes that are all enlarged, and he was able to successfully remove a full one in order to send it to pathology. as of now, I am still in pain a bit, since he didn't prescribe nearly enough to help with the post surgery pain since my brain is blocking the opiate, but as the days go on, and hopefully he is able to refill soon, so that I can get back down to normal levels over time.

Again, thank you all so much. Your support and information helped me to get through this beginning process with less anxiety.

I'll keep you all updated, and in my prayers! Keep fighting everyone!!!

Sincerely,

Allthingswork87

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Allthings

Glad to hear the surgery is over. Sorry to hear about the nodes but it still could be something else right? Usually they do pathology while you are still under so that must have come back "inconclusive"?

I hope you heal quickly and also get good news! .You will be in my prayers! Thank you so much for letting us know how surgery went