It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: $522!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello All,

I've been on Subs coming up on a year now. They work great with my pain and addiction issue. I take 2 8mg tabs a day. I went to pick up a refill and they went up again. I'm blessed that I have insurance, and only have to pay 30% for my rx's.

With the price up to $522 for a months supply, I'm having to pay $132 co-payment each month. Still cheaper then what I was spending on pills.

Is there another medication that I can use that's cheaper? I here of Methodone, but not sure if that would be an option for me. Any suggestions? Thanks

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You could try dropping your dose to save a bit of money. Of course that depends on how well you've been doing and how you feel about trying to drop your dose. But if you could say, cut your dose in half, and still have no cravings, then you'd be able to save quite a bit of money. Just a thought. So maybe think about it and speak to your doctor about the possibility of reducing your dose. Again, I have no idea what your long term sub plans are or even your addiction history, but even if you did cut your dose in half, 8 mg is still a good dose, comfortably above the 4 mg ceiling. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:04 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

If you use the film there is a coupon on suboxone.com for 45.00 off your copay..

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is also generic Subutex which is just buprenorphine with no naloxone. It is substantially cheaper but some Drs will not prescribe it but it can't hurt to talk to your Dr about it.

Post subject: Re: $522!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm 
theking13 wrote:
Hello All,

I've been on Subs coming up on a year now. They work great with my pain and addiction issue. I take 2 8mg tabs a day. I went to pick up a refill and they went up again. I'm blessed that I have insurance, and only have to pay 30% for my rx's.

With the price up to $522 for a months supply, I'm having to pay $132 co-payment each month. Still cheaper then what I was spending on pills.

Is there another medication that I can use that's cheaper? I here of Methodone, but not sure if that would be an option for me. Any suggestions? Thanks

Shawn

I doubt that Methadone will be cheaper..plus you gotta go to the clinic every single day, and it is a full-agonist, so it'll show up on 5 panel drug tests, as opposed to Sub, which is making it onto more and more panels but still isn't on the standard tests (if that is a concern for you). Methadone is a Schedule II drug. It works better for pain, though, and may be a better choice than Sub for chronic relapsers.

Generic Subutex is gonna be the cheapest alternative. It is Suboxone without the naloxone. It is much cheaper (because it has a generic), at $2-3 per pill. Unfortunately, many greedy, money-hungry, and/or misinformed doctors will not prescribe it. You can probably find one that does though..mine only does to pregnant women, but I built up a good rapport with him over a few months and got him to switch me (I had some health reasons as to why).