It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello...
I had a bad back years ago and the Dr. gave me Vicodin. I realized it did not help much with the pain but I felt happy! I had energy and so it began.
I could not seem to stop the Vicodin and heard Suboxone was also helpful for depression so I tried it. I was all buzzed out the first few weeks and then it just stopped having any effect other then when I tried to get off of it.
But the question I have is why does it also block the effect of alcohol?
I drank at times to loosen up, a party, with a new man, times when my Klonopin just made me sleepy not feeling looser. So I wanted to have a couple glasses of wine and loosen up now and then. However since I have been on Suboxone 6 mg. alcohol does nothing. My Dr. said it's in my mind.
No it's not, I actually tried to get drunk to no avail!
I also have difficulty urinating, my Dr. also says it's in my head and stop looking for problems. But I worry. I can't seem to get off it and I worry that if it Suboxone blocks alcohol in me , what else can it block? My depression has been horrible these last few years (while on subox) and I wondered if it made me worse? Today I feel ok, but I wonder.
Anyone else have issues with alcohol and urination? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, it's not in your mind. We hear that all the time, that the desire for alcohol is repressed as well. It's happened to me too, and i consider it a very good thing.

How much Vicodin were you taking? It's likely your tolerance was relatively low at the time you switched, if you were getting a buzz from the subs. It was inevitable that it would quickly stop "working" in that way, as your tolerance increased. That's the only explanation I can think of. We've a lot of experts on this forum and I'm not one of them.

The key thing is your tolerance is now in line with the meds, and you're protected from the cravings that would otherwise put you in harm's way.

Please take a good long look at your use and abuse of substances. You very likely have the disease. In fact by definition you do, in that you couldn't get off the Vicodin. If you hadn't started the suboxone your disease would have soon enough progressed, and you'd have found yourself in worse shape.

Subs will keep you sober, a great gift for an addict, and allow you to live a normal life. Alcohol, benzos, Vicodin, the road to hell is paved with such substances. Please hang around the forum and learn about your illness, and the benefits of taking buprenorphine.

See if you can identify with the people here. Consider that you have an illness that's progressive and all too often fatal. The subs are keeping you safe from yourself tight now.

I can't help with your urination issue, but someone will be along shortly I'm sure...

The subs aren't making you depressed. IN some people they do have an antidepressant effect. But they're very likely not going to cause depression. I'm guessing your life situation is what's making you feel sad. That's just nature telling you it's time to change your life!

Welcome to the forum! :D

Best wishes,
Godfrey

EDIt: P.S. In answer to your question, bupe occupies your opiate receptors, making you feel "satisfied" in that way. It seems to work across substances, which is pretty interesting. I don't pretend to understand the physiology. We have doctors on the forum who might be along to explain. It's certainly happened to me I have no desire to get high at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for answering.. I wonder why the Dr., supposed expert never heard of alcohol no longer working. I understand I should not be searching for a buzz, actually I am searching for a way to loosen up every so often.
Anyway it's good to be among people who know what suboxone is like..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:41 am 

A lot of doctors won't prescribe a benzo like klonopin with buprenorphine. Some do but a lot don't. Taking suboxone and klonopin plus adding alcohol into the mix is a lot so be careful. I don't drink so I have no idea about bupe making the alcohol less effective but like Godfrey said, imo that's a good thing. If u are an addict, it's extremely easy to switch to another vice and become addicted to that.

I've never had problems peeing on suboxone. I admit bk in the day when I'd be blown away on morphine, I had trouble peeing but never while on buprenorphine.

Not feeling any effects of suboxone is supposed to be the way u feel. U aren't supposed to have a buzz and if u did then u had a lower tolerance to opiates. U obviously became adjusted and that's why u feel nothing anymore, which is what's supposed to happen. I was looking for relief from cravings driving me crazy. Thankfully that's exactly what suboxone helped me with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Thanks for answering.. I wonder why the Dr., supposed expert never heard of alcohol no longer working. I understand I should not be searching for a buzz, actually I am searching for a way to loosen up every so often.

You can get drunk on alcohol while taking a full dose of Suboxone. I have the records from detox to prove it. For some people they find they drink less when binging, the studies do not show a robust enough effect to seek approval for buprenorphine as a treatment for alcohol dependence however.

Regarding the urinary hesitancy. I've had a couple people get modest improvement switching to buprenorphine, don't really have a good idea why the naloxone may have been causing the problem, it is not listed as even a rare side effect.

I'll let others comment on your state of readiness for sobriety, the whole purpose of taking Suboxone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
I wonder why the Dr., supposed expert never heard of alcohol no longer working. I understand I should not be searching for a buzz, actually I am searching for a way to loosen up every so often.

The sad truth is there's a lot of misinformation out there, even among supposed professionals. That;s one of the reasons this forum exists. to try and spread accurate information and correct the misconceptions.

I understand your wish to loosen up once in a while, but for most of us that's a luxury we can't afford. But sobriety not like sitting in church all day. We have plenty of fun. Those folks in the bars aren;t having nearly as much fun as it seems like they are. If you look back, I think you might say the same thing about your own experience in such places, and or doing such things.

Very glad to have you here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:12 pm 

I have not heard of suboxone preventing a person from getting drunk. I have only heard that being on suboxone makes you less likely to want to drink and makes drinking less pleasurable, which is, I think, what Godfrey is referring to.

Jenn is absolutely right that the point of going on suboxone is to be in recovery and work on recovery, so trying to get buzzed or high in any form interferes with that. I understand the desire to cut loose a little bit, but it definitely would be a great idea to learn to enjoy social occasions without any kind of outside substance to loosen you up.

Please make sure that you are careful with your doses of klonipin and suboxone together. The more klonipin you take, the more likely that your breathing could stop.

Urination hasn't been a problem for me, so I don't have advice in that area.

Welcome to the forum!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
You can get drunk on alcohol while taking a full dose of Suboxone.

I've no doubt this is true. I can only speak to cravings. Mine are completely gone. I've heard the same thing from several other people. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but I've heard it often enough and it squares with my own experience.

I've also read on this forum from folks on subs that drinking is much less pleasurable for them. Some have reported getting sick from just a few drinks. As an alcoholic myself, I take special notice when people mention these things.

I'm sure if I wanted to mess myself up I could take the old bottle of vodka we keep and really do a number on myself. The key point for me is that I just don't want to.

Here's a thread I found from 2013. t's typical of the thing I've read around here on the subject if you scroll down a few, though I wasn't here then. I'm also trying to find a thread I started in the subject,

suboxone-and-alcohol-t8900.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are a lot of idiosyncratic effects from medications. My friend swore he couldn't get drunk while on Effexor (was a shame because he loved a drink), while I didn't have that problem. Some alcoholics claim they can't get a good drinking buzz while on naltrexone, while for others naltrexone doesn't curb their drinking at all.

In theory buprenorphine may have a similar action to alcohol as naltrexone, but to a lesser degree. That's because both medications have an opioid blocking effect. Perhaps you're the kind of person who is more susceptible to the effects of opioid antagonism / blocking on alcohol.

I remember when I was on my naltrexone implant, alcohol would inebriate me without the fun buzzed euphoria. Was a real pain. Alcohol is so expensive in my country that I just started drinking sarsaparilla instead like some teetotal cowboy.

Something worth noting that my prescribing doctor mentioned to me is that alcohol can speed up metabolism of buprenorphine. This is one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of drinking while on Sub.