It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

* This was originally posted in the wrong section, so apologies if you've read this already. ;-)

Wow, what a great site!!! I can't tell you how excited I am to have found a place for/by Suboxone users. Like many of you here, my addiction started with prescription pain meds and graduated to full-on hard drugs and opium (yes, I could find it). I was a practicing addict for a relatively short time (5-6yrs), when my PCP put me on Suboxone. I started at 12-14mg, can't remember, and have tapered to 2mg/day. Problem is, I've been on 2mg/day for a lonnng time. I have done none of the things necessary to truly get my addiction under control, only took Suboxone to replace street drugs. UNTIL TODAY, when I found the Doc's videos on YouTube and this amazing site.

Now the REAL work begins...

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. I live in the Big Apple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mayfair! Welcome to what I think is a great site, full of wonderful, intelligent people. I hope you find as much support here as I have. You're right, we should all work on coping skills, etc., for our recovery in addition to taking suboxone. I go to therapy, use this site, and I started an in-person support group (that's still struggling). I also have the support of my mom and my husband mostly. We also have online meetings here in the chat room on Monday nights and Thursday afternoons. You can check out the posts under "meeting announcements". We'd love for you to come to them.

Again, welcome - we're glad you're here. I hope you stick around and post often.

HAT

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just found this site and have enjoyed learning alot of others issues about addiction, suboxone,and recovery. Also 26 years alcohol free. Just figured how to post. Pretty computer illiterate. I completed a 3 night a week group therapy facilitated by a counselor that I attended for 1 1/2 years and "graduated". I miss the discussions and learning so I'm very happy to find this great site. Thanks to all. Ann

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Ann and Mayfair :)

I too was so relieved and excited to have found this forum. It was just such a relief to find others who had chosen or at least were accepting of my choice to utilize medication assisted recovery. When I first started Suboxone I very quickly felt so guilty for having taken an "easier" route, or at least was easier for me as compared to my experiences with using only a twelve step program to stay clean. I'll never forget when I first found our wonderful community along with a video of Dr. Junig on U-tube. For the first time since I'd started Suboxone maintenance I actually felt like maybe Suboxone as well as other medication assisted recovery programs were a legitimate form of treatment for opiate dependance. I no longer felt guilty :) My family members at the time were VERY skeptical of Suboxone and it was so comforting to hear an actual Dr. with alot of experience in both treating and living with opiate dependance say that Suboxone was both a legitimate and fairly effective treatment choice. After watching the dramatic changes in my life over the last nearly 4years and learning more about Suboxone/buprenorphine treatment I can now happily say that my family and my significant other are very supportive, understanding, and I've even heard them at times advocate the use of buprenorphine maintenance for opiate addiction. Oh and last but not least it was also a relief to read Dr. Junig's comments about opiate dependance being a lifelong condition. I was so accustomed to having other non addicts make me feel like I was a failure when I couldn't stay clean that I guess it was helpful for me to see that while I may never have a "normal"/pre addiction life again I have found a way to manage the disease and have a worthwhile life even if I may need to stay on a medication the rest of my days there are alot worse things that I haven't had to deal with and so I'm still very thankful to have the oppurtunity to still be alive.

Anywho what I was intending on saying to you both got a little wordy and off track but I was just basically hoping you have had some of the wonderful experiences I've had since I found my way here a little while back. I look forward to reading and responding to posts from you guys in the future and I just hope you are able to use this forum as I have to find a wonderful and supportive community.

For the time being though I need to catch some shut-eye. Welcome again Mayfair and Ann :)