It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had my induction friday, and being on my third day I must say I feel amazing! Its almost too good to be true. So even if im on suboxone I im considered sober? Ive tried to stop taking pain killers many times and have failed miserably everytime. To actually feel like myself again, and so easily. I feel like im cheating somehow.

Post subject: Go with it.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know it's like a dream come true. I still can't believe it myself. I am on methadone but just not to be using opanas anymore is unbelievable. It's been two years to me the second longest period of time I have ever had in thirty years. Somewhere down the line it is good to start dealing with the drug related issues like triggers and relapse prevention etc...but thats on down the road. Just enjoy and celebrate this new way of life. Be proud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You said it feels like you're cheating somehow, well, you are. You're cheating the disease, and you're cheating an early death..imagine it that way.
And yes, you can consider yourself sober!
You're not going to fail a drug test or have to carry around a script bottle showing you have the right to take suboxone..because I've never been asked about it being in my system by anyone...and I went to work -- temporarily - at Walmart a year after I had been on Suboxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ArtsyAngi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your induction. It sounds like it must have gone smoothly and all has gone well since. It's not unusual at all to have the reaction you've had. Suboxone just works that way. Yes, it's still an opiate, but a different kind of one. And you won't behave in the same way you did during your active addiction. With suboxone, you'll be in what we call "addiction remission", as long as it's taken correctly, as prescribed. It won't get you high and you won't seek it out like you did with your DOC. Because of all those things and more, yes, you can consider yourself "clean" (although I hate that word).

If you attend NA/AA, understand however, that they do have different ideas (among different groups) about the use of suboxone (opiate replacement therapy) as it relates to being clean, but that's a different subject. But the longer you're on suboxone and the more normal you feel, the more you'll see the difference in yourself between being "dirty" and "clean". Then you won't even have to ask the question of whether you're clean or not!

Again, welcome. Come back and update us on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Relief
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am sooo glad I found the forum! Not too many people in my life understand what we go through. For the first time in a loooong time im excited about my future which I know is going to be sooo bright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It feels great doesn't it? Getting off opiates is a trip in itself. Only you can define what "sober" is... IMO, everyone knows themselves what their version of sober is, as long as they are honest.

I also suggest reading up on what is often called a "pink cloud", some people are shocked when it dissipates. Preparing yourself for it is important. Sub users are very prone to it, because we are so used to feel like crap.