It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 3month taper plan
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is my plan, in the last 3months i taperd from 16mg to now 8mg/7mg. i have just about stablized on 8mg, then i will be going to 7mg, and hopfully stabilize on that within 2weeks, then drops to 6mgs, and so on and so forth. I reaLLY JUST WANT to be down to 1mg-2mg within that time period. I want to be "clean" without any substance "help" and i get headaches and some stomach issue i heard at lower MG side effects are better.

I get headaches alot, like 5times out of 7days, ibprofen works but im taking 5IB a day, I don't want to be taking pills anymore. AA is working great for me im on step 8. it is truly amazing how much is helps me i will be going to alot of meetings once i start tapering more. right now i got 6/a week. anywho good luck and thx for reading

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sounds as though things are going well for you...what does your doc say about the stomach issues? As far as the taper goes, why even consider a timetable? Just go slow and let your own reactions be your guide. Personally, I consider the whole notion of "not being clean" while taking suboxone to be bullshit. Stopping a prescribed medication to meet some "definition of being clean" is nuts. After all, when it comes down to it, your sobriety is between yourself and your HP.

Here's an interesting article I just read:

http://www.thefix.com/content/let-cooler-meds-prevail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

moman wrote:
Sounds as though things are going well for you...what does your doc say about the stomach issues? As far as the taper goes, why even consider a timetable? Just go slow and let your own reactions be your guide. Personally, I consider the whole notion of "not being clean" while taking suboxone to be bullshit. Stopping a prescribed medication to meet some "definition of being clean" is nuts. After all, when it comes down to it, your sobriety is between yourself and your HP.

Here's an interesting article I just read:

http://www.thefix.com/content/let-cooler-meds-prevail

Moman: I agree with you about the whole "not being clean" on suboxone idea. "Clean" (hate that word) means something different to everyone, as each person's recovery is as unique as each individual is.

Also, that's a terrific article you posted. You might consider starting a separate thread to discuss just that article.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: 3month taper plan
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

spike93333 wrote:
This is my plan, in the last 3months i taperd from 16mg to now 8mg/7mg. i have just about stablized on 8mg, then i will be going to 7mg, and hopfully stabilize on that within 2weeks, then drops to 6mgs, and so on and so forth. I reaLLY JUST WANT to be down to 1mg-2mg within that time period. I want to be "clean" without any substance "help" and i get headaches and some stomach issue i heard at lower MG side effects are better.

I get headaches alot, like 5times out of 7days, ibprofen works but im taking 5IB a day, I don't want to be taking pills anymore. AA is working great for me im on step 8. it is truly amazing how much is helps me i will be going to alot of meetings once i start tapering more. right now i got 6/a week. anywho good luck and thx for reading

What is 'clean' or not is an individual call, and it's perfectly reasonable for you to want to be off a med if you believe you can be healthy without it. It sounds like you are doing the work to be successful. My experience with tapering has been that there's no one taper plan you can follow. 'Listening to your body' is a cliche, but it's also the key to success. If you drop and you are sick, you dropped too much. If you drop and you are fine, then drop more. I believe you can be down to those low doses within three months. Drop down to the low doses and then give it more time, because it gets harder at those doses, again just my experience.

I want to just warn you, though, that many people get headaches from Sub tapering/withdrawal. It's important to know this up front, so you aren't blown out of the water when it happens. They last a long time but aren't typically too intense.

Good luck!

laddertipper