It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did an induct 2 weeks ago today, switching from Methadone.
The 1st 4 days were not great as i was w/d & also had the Flu. However I got thru that, I've been on 16mg since March 18th.
Here we are 2 weeks later, Im exhausted all the time, I have to PUSH my self thru the work week. It seems all I want to do is lay down all the time.
Im a waitress as a profession & laying down is not an option. It takes EVERYTHING in me just to get thru my work day!! I hate feeling like this as I can not be myself at work & IT IS Effecting my performance & how well I treat my customers!! That is not something I am at all happy about : (
I have also noticed I cant not keep my attention on any one thing to long. I am making mistakes left & right. Im totally scatter brained & will go from thinking 1 thing to thinking another the next moment.
Keeping my focus on 1 thing for a certain amount of time has been a problem for me prior to being on Suboxone. However now I feel it's SOOOO Much Worse & it's driving me crazy!!
I called the Dr office yesterday Crying explaining everything that was going on & the solution was to put me on more Suboxone. So now he wants me to take 24mg daily.
I honestly do know if this is going to help, I feel like I made a mistake as I never felt like this on the Methadone.
Will the 24mg help with all the problems im having? Because I honestly don't think i can take this much longer. Im a single Mom of 3, I not only have my responsibilities at work but at home also. My day does not end when i get off work. I really dont think I can do this much longer, as it's really taking a toll on me physically & mentally!!
Any help anyone can give would be GREATLY Appreciated!!
ML, Pebbles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:18 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

24mg is an extremely high dose! I almost can't believe there doctors that will prescribe that much. I had a lot of the symptoms you are having when I was on 16mg too. I dropped down to 8 MG a day and felt great. I never took methadone before so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

All doctors are not created equal. Some are good and some are bad. Also, not all patients are created equal. Drugs effect everyone different. Listen to what your body is telling you. I'm a big guy that had a bad habit and 16mg was a lot for me. But everyone is different. But it seems like bad practice to raise your dose that much.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:44 pm 

I'll wait until someone with more experience posts, but I just want to say that switching from methadone to suboxone is tough from what I've heard. High doses of sub are not unusual because methadone usually makes your tolerance sky-high. I'm not expert, but many people have reported having a hard time for the first few weeks after the switch.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Methadone is full agonist as well as a long acting opioid. Switching from methadone to suboxone is just plain ROUGH in most cases. Besides the initial induction troubles and chances of precipitated withdrawals, it also takes the body a little while to get used to having a partial agonist vs. a full agonist. That's why you feel sluggish, unmotivated, drained, etc. Not to mention the physical exhaustion most people go through making the switch. It just takes a good few weeks sometimes to get adjusted, but rest assured you WILL adjust. And soon, your body won't remember the difference. I remember being in your shoes like it was yesterday. I could have written your post after switching. Except, I had just moved to a new city, was out looking for jobs and moving into a new apartment, all while feeling like I had been hit by a train and couldn't even lift a feather. It was awful. You're right at a turning point though, so stick with it.

I was on 24mgs in the beginning and then went down once I was stable. 24mgs can absolutely be necessary when switching from methadone, but that dose is not needed for long, so try not to get stuck on it if you do increase.

Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Pebbles

I caught your post and it resonated with me. I also am a server and switched frok methadone (40mg) to subs when I induced. It was horrendous! I ended up using an hour after my induction because of precipitated withdrawal. Eventually, I switched docs and he prescribed Dilaudid for me to take for ten days. The short halflife opiate alloweds me to work (still hurting but made it through) and get the methadone out of my system. After 10 days, I took my first 4mg dose and it went smoothly from there. For me, less is more with suboxone. If I ended up taking 8mg+ I felt noticiblely worse. Hopefully this helps, stay tough, subs gave me a chance at my life which MT never could do for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all sooo much for the replys!!!

I actually do feel better today then I did yesterday. I HAVE NOT taken that extra 8mg film per day yet, I wanted to see what a few more days was going to do. If i did not feel better by tomorrow then I would have bumped it up. But I choose to wait & im glad i did : )
I still have to push myself thru the day, but it is not as bad as it was 2 days ago.

StillProdigy: I was on 20mg of M/D daily when i did my induct. I weened down on my own from 40mg to 20mg just to do this induct. I read alot on this forum beforehand & wanted to make the switch as easy as I could without staying on the M/D to long. That's when I choose to make the switch at 20mg.

Now i just need to convince my DR to let me use Subutex as I have No INS & have to pay cash for all of this. *My god I had no idea it was going to be this expensive, it's killing me!!
Ive been on M/D & nothing else for 3 years with not problems, so I hope he will not have a problem with allowing me to take the subutex instead.

ML, Pebbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am very happy to hear that you got through it! Switching from MT to subs takes courage, and you should be proud. Avoiding precipitated WD kept me scared but you did it! It gets easier from here on out. Hang tough, each day gets easier.

Prodigy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just read the o.p and God I can relate to it. I have just switched to subs after a 10 year shitty life on methadone and other substances. Started on 4ml on the first day then up to 8ml and its been horrible. Sweating no energy and confusion unable to focus, feeling in a dream state. I did actually lie down at work today. Took 3 days of to do the jump from Meth to subs , seriously thinking about going back to the Meth.
Saying that tonight I feel no withdrawal , I just feel in a zombie state.
I was on methadone for 10 years though so I have been putting the way I am feeling down to that.
Tonight is the best I have felt so far but its still not very pleasant. My work is clueless to my situation so I am just saying I have a bug , l don't think I can play this card for long though and my work colleges said I look terrible. In fact writg this now I have another hot sweaty flush coming on. Anyway I just subscribed to let you know your not alone and I feel just the same. Will let you know if it gets any better , I really hope it does.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Good Luck to you guys switching over, WOW ...... Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:02 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Today feeling a little better but still not good. Still fogy headed and body temp is all over the place. Started subs on Monday well actually Tuesday supposed to be Monday but didn't fancy work on Sunday without Meth and took Mon , Tue , Wed off for the transition. Its not been pleasant but I didn't go a full day Monday without a nothing didn't have Meth though.
So I guess I brought this on myself.
Anyway today is Friday and its definitely the best I have felt. Don't think cigarettes have ever tastesd so bad , foggy headed and sweating lots then freezing.
Planning on staying on subs just long enough to get over the worst of the methadone then trying a sober life. (Hopefully) Its something I have to do if I want to improve my work situation as I have a job prospect abroad and doubt if I could get a script there it could be done without work knowing. Its not like the u.k good old national health.
Anyway defo feeling better still not 100 รท .
How's things with you.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:54 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think the moral of the story, and it is pretty clear reading here, that time is going to be the biggest factor in adjustment. Every day you are going to feel a little less terrible and a little more 'with it.' Tiny hit it on the head, your body is adjusting from a very potent, long acting, unique opioid agonist and now your body needs to accustom itself to maintenance on a long acting partial-agonist. It is rough both physically and mentally, but it gets better, in fact for most it gets great and you will be able to move about your life with your opioid addiction in remission.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm 

What Twin is sayn is, hang on a few more days and things will be kool!!!!!

And Great.....razor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi pebbles. I also have experience switching from methadone it's not easy. Before I read your post saying doc upped your dose, I was going to say the same thing. Methadone is a very unique drug and for me 32 mgs was definitely in order. Try it, I do believe you are under dosed. You will notice that every couple of months you will start to feel more normal as your brain reverses aka heals. Methadone just floods your system. If you want more info you can pm me I have tons of experience on this

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Have a meeting with my counselor tomorrow and I am wanting to start the suboxone taper . I have been on 8ml a day now for just over a week and have enough 8ml tablets to last until a week tomorrow which will be next Thursday.
As stated I have been on methadone 10 years and have never really tried to come off it until now.
I am feeling quite stable on 8ml subs , I don't want to get addicted to them as I believe I would be swapping one drug for another. What I am trying to do is use the subs to get over the worst of the methadone withdrawal.
From doing a lot of reading I know its going to take a while to get a normal feeling back . However I will hopefully be moving abroad next April and have made it my mission to be drug free and hopefully back to normal.
I tell a lie about 7 or 8 years ago I got a 28 day prison sentence and was off methadone for 2 weeks but as I was still actively using I went back on methadone I did feel horrible on release and the crappy detox didn't touch the sides . I was given DF 118s and 5 or 10ml nitrazipan I think.
Anyway has anyone just used the subs to get off methadone quickly like I am trying and what can I expect if I try tapering off subs after only being on them 2 weeks before the taper.
Also any meds I should ask my counselor tomorrow to help with this would be good. Already stocked up on vitamins not sure my doctor would supply benzoes but I can get something a little like them from a friend who gets crappy versions of then of the internet.
Guess just wanting to do this as painless as possible.
Any help appreciated.