It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 2nd day with no suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone, just joined this forum. I have been tapering very slowly over the past couple years. I had been on 1/2 mg up until a few days ago, was on that dose for a couple months. I took 1/4 mg for a couple days before I stopped yesterday. I would have liked to taper a bit more, but even though coming off has been my ultimate goal and I was getting to a point where I was ready, the clinic was not returning my phone calls to schedule my monthly appt and then after they finally did, I called back right after I hung up when I realized I didn't have enough to last me until then. They didn't return my calls again, so I said fuck it. I am feeling crappy, but nowhere near as bad as I have been in wds in the past. I just have no energy, sneezing, achy all over, and bad RLS last night. I just want to be off of this stuff and get it out of my body. It sucks but I'm ready. I'm glad to have found this forum, I could use the support from people who know what it's like!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You actually got down to fairly decent dose! The intensity of withdrawals will never prove to be what you were expecting from past detoxing. This is entirely different and for some people can go pretty smooth, when you get down that low, or you can end up with annoying symptoms for a while longer than expected. I'm hoping that you're one of the lucky ones because you were on a low dose for quite a while. You are on day 2, so expect the next week to be more of the same, but hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Some tricks that we always recommend to combat the pesky WD symptoms are: Exercise, music, hot baths or showers, sex, etc. Basically anything to help raise your natural endorhin production. Additionally supplements have proven helpful for most people as well as Clonodine, a blood pressure med that can help relax you. It's good for RLS and anxiety during this time. It's a benign drug so most doctors don't take issue with prescribing it.

Good luck and hang in there!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there Starwary!

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for support, and we sure do know what it's like. Most everyone here has been exactly where you are now in one form or another. You just have to dig in, fight hard for your life, and deal with each of the symptoms as best you can. Just know that given a little time they all usually pass on their own. It varies for everyone.

You got your dose down fairly low and the symptoms should be gone fairly quickly. I would guess the worst days may be days 3-7 or therebouts as everyone really is different. Sleep is usually one of the very last symptoms to return to any kind of normal. Most experience lack of sleep and that in itself can increase or magnify the other symptoms. If you have sleep issues, you might want to try using natural sleep aides like melatonin, sleepy time tea, or other similar supplements they can be of help. I actually never had too many sleep issues, but I know it's often the #1 complaint of everyone.

Exercise is by far the very best option for you. Just simply walking each day gets those natural endorphins firing and working again that have been surpressed by the drugs. And listening to your favorite music is also a great help to pass the hours. Keep busy and keep moving, anything to keep from watching the clock.

Vitamins and supplements can also make a huge difference. Vitamin B Complex, vitamin B12 really do help give a little energy when needed. There are many other natural supplements all designed to provide energy which usually is hard to come by at first. Always check with your doctor first before taking anything. Just a precaution!

Great job! Just keep adding up those days from subs. I can attest that each day really does get better and better. I'm almost 1 month since my last dose of subs and opiates! I feel great every day getting up and never worrying about taking that "pill" to be able to get through the day. I was on subs for about 3 years and tapered down to .50mg and had to have emergency surgery and never went back to subs!

Please continue to post and update your progress. Lots of people will follow you along and will love to hear how your doing and feeling. And it also helps if you want to ran,t or have questions or concerns.

Congratulations to you and welcome again to the forum!

Karen xoxo

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi starywary,

Welcome to the forum!!

As the others have said, you did get your dose down low and that usually means your wd will be fairly light. You're on day 2 now and I think this is about as bad as your wd will get and I'm guessing that the acute stage will be over in another few days.

You didn't mention and G.I. issues, (frequent bathroom visits), but if it is a problem, you could use Imodium. Imodium works great at turning off the spigot, if ya know what I mean? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much you guys. Yesterday all I did was lay in bed or on the couch, and just knowing that I had to get some energy up for when my daughter came home from school. Felt super restless and tried so hard not to but just agonized over how slow the day was going. Then it was weird, at 6:20 ( Yes I was staring at the clock ha) when my daughter was in gymnastics, I just felt better. Not completely, but I sat up straight all of a sudden and my skin wasn't as crawly. I even went to visit a friend last night to watch some tv and snuggle, which earlier I wouldn't have even wanted anyone to touch me. I have been using rescue remedy, lots of detox tea, and trying to eat. I did puke last night but not bad and actually went to class today and did some dishes. Not sure how anyone feels about this here and hope it's ok to mention, but smoking pot definitely helps. I use it for anxiety anyway and to help me sleep. I did take melatonin, last night I think I got a few hours of sleep altogether. This is kind of cheesy, but the day I decided to stop taking it, I saw 3 adult bald eagles flying together, and then there was this song called "Two Fingers" by Jake Bugg that a few weeks ago I said I was going to play when I got off suboxone, and that day I did stop, I got into the car and it started on the radio!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, what's helped is knowing that the way I feel now is usually how I feel after a couple weeks kicking opiates in the past, so I'm doing good. I've been taking my dog for a walk in the woods everyday, which seriously cures everything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

sounds like you are almost there. Congrates, I know how great it feels the first time that wd begins to lift and you see the light. But stay off that couch! My wd always seemed worse when I sat around and it made the days and nights never end. When I got out and distracted myself the day went by much faster. keep us updated!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

starywary wrote:
Hi everyone, just joined this forum. I have been tapering very slowly over the past couple years. I had been on 1/2 mg up until a few days ago, was on that dose for a couple months. I took 1/4 mg for a couple days before I stopped…

I know it has been said, but Wow you tapered really well.
Welcome to the forum : ) >I joined on day 7 off of Subs, but jumped from 1mg.
Im not in the position to give too much advice, as I am still in the receiving-it phase, but
If you embrace the mind over matter. Really just get through the next second, minute, hour—distract yourself, if you can stand in the sun that'd be good.
I am proud of your quitting. In the past couple days I have really began to notice just how NUMB Subs make you. Each day you get more and more of your senses back, and it's amazing.
Keep it up. A few days of hurt is worth a lifetime off of clean.

—•Valkyrja•—

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

starywary, you alluded to it and l i v i n hit it on the damn head.....staying busy = less wd symptoms.

Also, I don't think it was cheesy about the song, my song was It's Been a While from Staind. When I was on opiates, if I heard that song, for some damn reason my drug supply would run out and I'd get thrown into wd (hated that fuckin' song!! lol), but when I quit Suboxone, I heard that song the first night of my wd and thought, "this is the last damn time this song puts me into wd." Nowadays when I hear that song I think back to that first night of sub detox, realizing I don't ever have to go through it again and I just smile.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:35 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

glad to here the walks are helping you. The woods do feel to give you back some energy and a feeling of serenity. I think it may be the higher concentrations of O2 from the trees. Hope I can get to this state of no suboxone but I have a while to taper. congratulations on your hard work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for all this amazing support. So today is my 10th day with no suboxone and there were no dead babies crawling on the ceiling! I started feeling a little better each day, and then bam got a cold that is kicking my ass lol. But it feels so great to have actually done it. It's been 7 years since I did dope, but those 7 years I spent on methadone for 4 and sub for 3. Being on opiates in one form or another on and off for the last 18 years, (mostly on) has really fucked up my body and mind. Jesus, I just had to do that math and I can't wrap my mind around it. I was about 18 when I first did heroin, and I'm 36, so for half my life I've been on opiates- holy shit. Well, I was clean for 3 years once, oh and another year, and then about 5 months, so let's say 12 1/2 years,. but still, damn. (sorry about the rambling math lol) Next on my list is benzos to get off of. Got myself down to a fairly low dose, but I'm not rushing anything, gonna give my body some time to adjust. Every morning I still have to remember that I don't have to take suboxone. Last time I went to the clinic to meet with my counselor there, he said, "you know you wouldn't be a failure if you just stayed on it the rest of your life." No I wouldn't, but this was his response after I told him I had been bringing myself down slowly for the past 3 years. ( I had switched clinics) My goal was to get off of suboxone. They didn't seem very supportive of that. I actually slept almost through the night the past 2 nights. Weaning down as low as you can is definitely the way to go. It made a HUGE difference. Thank you again, and I'll keep updating and checking out more posts now that my mind is a bit clearer. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Doing great starywary! Keep up the good work! I know you previously mentioned smoking pot for the anxiety, but I didn't realize you were also taking some benzo's along with it. Just a word of caution if I may about those benzo's....

I nearly died twice from abusing those things. I'm not saying or even suggesting you are abusing them, or trying to scare you one bit, just wanting to make certain you know how difficult they can be to get free of. Benzo detox can be fatal to some and must be tapered very, very slowly. Can't just stop taking them or you could possibly have real problems.

Make sure you have a plan with your doctor to safely get off them when your ready. I think your being very smart to take your time and not rush things since you recently stopped the subs. One thing at a time is the way to go in my opinion as you are doing.

Congratulations on day 10 without the subs! That's something to be very proud of! I can attest the days get better and better as you will find out. Hope that cold leaves you alone soon. You know the drill, lots of rest, fluids, and eat something like soup and maybe crackers if you can tolerate it. Main thing is to stay hydrated at all times. Keeps you going and also helps to flush any remaining toxins out of your body.

Well done stary. Looking forward to your next update!

Karen xoxo