It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all, I posted a short update as a reply to my induction post but had a couple of questions.

Anyway.... I got my first dose about 10:30am yesterday morning. They ended up giving me a total of 12mg and said to stay there for now. I felt great physically all day but about 6:00pm I started getting major cravings. Is this normal for a while?

Also, this morning a bit after I dosed, I felt very irritable. Is this normal as well?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes- those feelings are to be expected. Buprenorphine is a powerful tool for treating addiction, but it won't carry the full load of maintaining sobriety. You will have all sorts of feelings. I don't know you well enough to say where the irritability is coming from, but it may or may not be related to direct medication effects, such as the difference between your tolerance vs the maximum tolerance supported by buprenorphine... or it may be related to the thoughts swirling around in your unconscious mind, such as mourning the loss of your 'partner' (we all had a love affair with our drug of choice, until the relationship went bad!)

Cravings decrease over time. Buprenorphine has a strong impact on them, but you still have a new routine to get used to-- just like how cigarette smokers on a nicotine patch have to find new ways to keep their hands occupied.

Keep yourself busy, and things will get better each day.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am 

It can also be tricky to recognize the difference between cravings and just missing ur doc. I missed the high but it wasn't cravings.... it's hard to explain lol. I knew from how I felt in rehab, that what I was feeling when I first started suboxone, that it wasn't cravings like I'd been used to. I wasn't pacing around obsessing about oxycodone anymore, I felt peace from all that. I did miss my pills though and had to learn how to start a new way of filling my day. So there's a difference, u have to be able to recognize those differences.

Good luck!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both for your replies! I agree it's hard to distinguish between cravings and just missing my old "best friend". I'm on 12mg and the doctor at first wanted me to just take it all in the morning. Then she said I could split it into 2 doses. Maybe I'm just missing the multiple dosing. Idk. I'm just trying to be patient and ride it out. I take my doses at 8:30am and 8:30pm (6mg/each). In the middle (around 2-3pm) is usually when I'm experiencing the toughest time with "cravings" or "missing my friend".