It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: .25mg Jump Off
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on opiates and subs for about a 15 months. My average dose was 2mg for a while until about 2 months ago I started a taper down to taking .25mg twice a day, Prior to subs , I was abusing dope for about the same time I was using subs. I started at a bag a day for about 4 or 5 months,stopped that and used about 2mg tapered to 1mg. Became cocky and began using dope again using as much as 4 bags a day for 2or 3 months. Realized I was going down the wrong path. So now I'm here. I've tried jumping off at 2mg and 1mg respectively. While the withdrawal is nowhere near hoe dope was it is still very uncomfortable. Main symptoms are restless leg, lack of sleep and lack of energy/motivation. I have about 10 .25mg dosrs left. If I take these within 10 days will I still have similar withdrawals as jumping off at 1mg? I refuse to take any kind of pharmaceutical as they are the easy way out. I found that pot works the best for the taper method . As I successfully tapered BC I had pot to help me sleep. Tapering has never been difficult. Even now when I don't have pot I believe that I can easily take one .25 mg rather than two a day. But meted the main question, does tapering truly delay the inevitable? Or is it the best way to come off subs without withdrawal? Please only people with similar experience answer. Not loooong users or users who take more or take other drugs . Also I must note that I don't crave any opiates when I withdraw. For example if I was withdrawing and had a choice between using subs and dope, n only dope was available I would refuse the dope. That how it is now.

Post subject: Re: .25mg Jump Off
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. I truly believe that tapering as low as possible is the way to go. I also tried several times jumping off 2mg of Suboxone and couldn't take the symptoms. Once I began tapering lower I found it quite manageable. I'm now on .50mg daily taking .25mg am and the other .25mg in the pm. I plan on reducing to .25mg or LOWER and then jumping.

I might suggest you use what subs you have left and take .25mg for a few days and reduce to perhaps half of that which would be .125mg for a few days and then jump when it runs out. There have been several here that have done that, and tapered even to micro-doses and then stopped. Look at the thread of the member Girl on a Mission in this same section. She is doing awesome and recently jumped 6 days ago tapering extremely low in dose.

My suggestion here anyway. Hope it helps and I wish you the very best! Please continue to post and let us know how it goes!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tapering does not always give the same result to everyone. What about a member here who tapered to micro doses, had some withdrawals but got hit with bad post acute withdrawals? then another wave of after post acute withdrawals? in my view sub just too strong to taper down. You can go really low and stay there to adjust but you will feel shitty, who wants to feel like that for a long time? either way it tends to suck so do what you think is best for you.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:43 am 

Hey Tammy,

I want to point out that you just said this on the subject of taking vicodin to help with sub withdrawals:

"Like i said before we all have different levels of thresholds, addiction and determination skill. Just because it might be hard for 1 addict does not mean it will be such a impossible task for the other."

Well, it is the same for this situation. There have been lots and lots of people on this forum who have successfully tapered to a really low level before jumping off, and have felt little withdrawal. This may not be true for everyone, including you. But saying: "You can go really low and stay there to adjust but you will feel shitty.", is misleading. Maybe that's how you felt, but it could very well be inaccurate for the OP. Try to make sure that you note when you are just speaking from your own experience, rather than making a blanket statement that will apply to everyone.

By the way, welcome to our forum, Django!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree with Amy. I jumped off 3 months ago. I had jumped off 15 months before I deciding to taper at 1mg a day. My life was hell. I couldn't take it. So I decided to taper. I tapered to about .25mg a day. Though that isn't as little as a lot of people, I had an okay time. I felt pretty crappy for the first 4 days. But I could sleep so it was manageable. I also had a 15mo old when I jumped and I could still stand to take him out of the house for an hour or two. I did have the RLS pretty badly Day 5-12 I believe. But a natural magnesium/calcium/zinc vitamin REALLY helped as well as melatonin. Day 14 and I felt completely normal. I'm 3 months in and I have no PAWS.

I can't say everyone is the same, but in ANYTHING there will be a couple out of a high amount of number that had bad success.

All that you can do is try. This forum helped me so much & now I'm here trying to give my advice. Getting out of the house is KEY. Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I'm officially on .125mg every 12 hours. Feel prettygood actually. Honestly, I could be on .125mg but I've always had trouble sleeping. N that extra .125 helps me relax. I got 6 doses left and I am goingto jump off for good. I'm using St John's worth and that helps with the energy, depression and motivation. My withdrawals can't be that bad compared to a 1mg or 2mg jump off which was uncomfortable but somewhat bearable

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Django,

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found the answers you were looking for, and just for the record I totally agree with those who suggested to taper low. In my experience, jumping from 2mg was impossible...but I recently got down to .25mg and felt pretty good. It would have been doable at that point, but I decided I wasn't ready to jump and went back up to 1mg. Long story, and not really to the point here.

I just wanted to touch on something that nobody else has as of yet. You mentioned that you were on suboxone and clean for awhile and then went back to using heroin...up to 4 bags a day while still on the subs. Then you decided to straighten up and want to get off of EVERYTHING, including suboxone. I just wonder if you have given yourself enough time to be really ready for sobriety? I'm afraid that jumping off of the subs right now, while you don't have alot of time away from active use, may be a mistake. Is it possible for you to try to stay on a low dose of suboxone until you have at least a few good months completely clean of heroin? It would be a great way for you to kind of test the waters of abstinence while you still have a little bit of a safety net in place.

Of course, this is only my suggestion. I know that everyone's situation is different, and each person has to go for sobriety in their own way. But I'm sure that you understand my concern for you. Please give it some thought, I just hate to see you go through all of this...taper, or CT jump, then wind up right back on the H. You need to find some way of building a solid foundation of recovery before running headlong into abstinence with no plan in place for keeping yourself clean.

Either way though, I wish you the best of luck!

Q

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

All i know is my experience.

I jumped from 4 mg with no taper at all and physical withdrawals lasted about 12 days and i didnt feel completely alright til a month.

Of course jumping from 4mg is not recommended but it worked for me and ive been substance free for about 7 months now!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Qhorsegal,

I'm about to jump off my last dose of .125 really soon. To address your concern. At the time I had gotten off heroin and gotten back in was not because I craved for it but because I was so miserable with myself because of my job. Prior to using dope I had graduated from a university and had a hard time finding a job. When I did, it was at a retail store at best buy. Coming from a solid foundation, good school good family good friends , I had become depressed because I felt as if I wasn't living up to what I was supposed to be. That being said I got mixed up with the wrong crowd and used dope to shut away the immense sense of failure I was feeling. It really isn't good when people who are less qualified than you tell you what to do. But that being said , sobriety and stability are things that I have lived with most my life. I'm 28 now, I started opiates when I was a little under 27. But I really won't be 100% sober as I smoke a lot of weed. I remember how weed felt before I used dope , AMAZING. When I was on dope , weed did nothing but potentiate the dope high thus making it secondary. Now that I'm onsuch a low dose, weed is feeling like it used to andI am enjoying it once again. This is much different than when I had first stopped subs, weed was never on my list. Every time I couldn't sleep or hated myself BC of my degrading job I thought aboutdope even when I was on 2mg of subs? Its not like that anymore. I think of dope now only with regrets like " damn why did I do that"? Thankfully, I'm ready to continue the life I stopped 1.5 years ago and am humbled by what dope had done to an upset, hopeless and arrogant mind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It may sound like I am replacing one with another but I can say that weed got me through school, made me good friends, never drained my money, never increased my tolerance never gave me any withdrawals other than "damn I can't get baked today" . It allows me to sleep peacefully, wake up worry free. Doing dope I nod off wake up the next day having to go to the ghetto to get more. My condo is clean again, I shower more etc etc . These differences are very crucial in getting me to taper and fully get off dope.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK Django,

I'm glad you feel that you will be able to avoid relapse. I just wouldn't have felt like I was being honest if I didn't point out my fear for you. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery!

How are you doing now? Have you jumped yet? Come back and give us an update.

Q