It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 1st visit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey y'all
i'm going to a local sub clinic this monday for the 1st time.

i'm curious what to expect on my 1st visit? how will the visit go? will they put me sub right away?
also.. what should i do to prepare myself?

very worried and anxious - cant go on the way i am! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What are switching to suboxone from and how high is your tolerance right now? We can help more if that info is included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i'm an ex- gram a day heroin addict
i had cleaned up for a few years moved out of the city and deep into the smokey mountains, then got hooked on percs through a back doctor. my natural addictive behavior kicked in and since heroin is hard to find i have started drinking poppy tea as well as pills.
i would say i'm at an equivalent of 1/4 gram, less than 1/2 of heroin!

but my ? is should i go in in a early state of detox? will they put me on sub that day? or will i have to go right back to MY ways?
just found out about sub and what i have heard and read has given me the only hope i've had in 2 years!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

They should be giving you the sub that day. I've seen a lot of different sub doctors over time and I've never had a doctor not prepared to write a script that day, that's how it usually works. Unless he plans to dose you in office the first time. In which case, the only reason you wouldn't be able to dose that day is if you still had drugs in your system.

You will need to stop using opitiates at least 24hours before your first dose, even more time is ideal. I had a hard time even making it to 24hrs myself and went into precipitated withdrawals both induction times. The heroin > suboxone induction was much easier than my methadone > suboxone induction but neither is a picnic. It's been a while since I induced and I know many people react to it differently. Hopefully others weigh in.

Can you call your doc/ clinic and ask what to expect? Tell them you'd like to confirm that you will receive suboxone so you can prepare to taper/ withdrawal from your DOC. This is to be expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks tiny for responding so quickly

yeah ... i guess i can call and ask, just afraid to sound too anxious, ya know.. that addict behavior!

so it sounds like i could still be sick for a couple days while i adjust? but it varies person to person huh?

also... hoping its not too expensive and /or insurance covers most!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don't worry about asking and sounding anxious or like an addict, that's the point! It's like someone with severe depression too worried to talk to a counselor in fear they will sound too depressed. Sounds silly, right? This is exactly what the medication is intended for. They have a duty to let you know what to expect especially because there are things you need to do to prepare and all that hinges on when you take your first dose.

It really depends, I only know my induction situation but I hear so many varying stories. Just know that whatever happens, it will be short lived and you'll soon even out. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, it's worth it if you use the sub program the right way and with the right attitude, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yeah - i intend to do this right, i just want to take away the illegal, dirty activities and function daily with out the obsession or lies!

are you still on subo? (if you dont mind me asking) if so, for how long and what was it like? is life good today?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hey bags ..... good on ya for seeking a way out and off. You need to be score pretty high on COWS to be induced with sub.
Sub is amazing for breaking old and starting a new life. Amazing .... but .... sub is a physically dependent drug and therefore my suggestion is to be induced at the lowest mg possible and begin tapering as soon as you fill first script. Listen to your body and find lowest maintainable level over first two weeks possible. Hopefully way below 2mg a day. rob325 blog has great advice for those new to suboxone. It works and this forum is full of good and bad advice. keep doing your homework and asking questions. I won't go into my deal like most like to but just trust me when I say Sub is life changing for us addicts but it is swapping one one devil for another .... albeit nicer kinder devil .... it still has horns.
prayers are in for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Was a pill > oxycontin >heroin addict in my early twenties. Lost everything.. family.. friends.. jobs. Moved with my boyfriend (now husband) to hawaii in an attempt to clean up. He was doing speed balls and was totally a mess. We left with a small script of subs and did our last shot at the airport. That didn't last long.. we eventually ran into people using oxy and around and around we went. We had to leave the island for health & legal reasons and came back to our home state where no one wanted anything to do with us. We slept on some couches while using and then the street. My dad took us in and we cleaned up but weren't changing our ways of thinking and continued to relapse for a little bit. It was then that I told my bf we had to do something different. He was really against the idea of methadone but I insisted. It was life or death at that point. My dad was supportive and eventually took me in, my bf followed suit eventually after I caught him lying to me about using. Of course, right?

Methadone did the trick for the most part as far as keeping me from street life but I was way more medicated than I was ever use to and lost a job because of it. That and we would cheat here and there and try to catch a buzz (like I needed one..) We didn't do that often but it was enough to keep us close to that lifestyle and we weren't moving forward other than having jobs and eventually getting our own place. My boyfriend made the switch to sub first and then I did. It wasn't a fun experience but the outcome paid off a million times over. We stayed on suboxone for six years, my bf a little more than that although a much smaller dose than me. Surprisingly he was always way more disciplined than I was about tapering and all that. I guess he was just use to it.

Fast forward during those six years and we've now built strong careers, our friends and family relations are better than ever, we travel, laugh.. love.. live. We have a solid, respectful marriage. Life is good my friend. We're only 3 months off suboxone so I can't really preach just yet but I know in my heart that we're done with all that. We've been through too much and we have so much support now... that and a future to look forward to. I'll keep posting to let you guys know how I'm doing.

Jumping off was hard but it was far scarier in my mind. I wish I hadn't been so scared of it because I would have done it sooner. Regardless, I am happy with where I am. I feel like I've been through a war and I won. I am proud of my journey.

Good luck.. keep us posted!

Oh yeah, sub isn't without it's downsides.. especially over time you start to notice little things (sex drive, lack of desire to really socialize, foggy-ness.. etc) but nothing compared to this lifestyle you're living- or not living.

Last edited by tinydancer on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Beautiful
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:37 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey Tiny D .... great story .... good for you and bf ... I think that is how sub is meant to work.
I too am lucky to have entered the barn and came out the other side. As we both know there is always more to it but for somebody still chasing the streets .....
You have good advice for new guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bags,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Congratulations on giving Suboxone a try. For a LOT of us, it was an important tool we used/use on our road to recovery.

The only word of caution I'd give you is that those poppy pods/tea can be really strong and quite long lasting. We've had several people from this forum go from poppy pods to Suboxone and some have a fairly difficult time making the transition because they didn't wait long enough to induce. At the top of this page is a "Search Box", type in poppy pods or poppy tea and do some reading on what other folks have done to go from poppy pods to Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

what is COWS?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:23 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hey bags .... you can google COWS and see the test ... in order to administer sub you need to be in a pretty bad withdrawal state.
miserable shake and bake I was ... blood pressure heart rate shakes sweats eyes dilated puking ... you know the drill.
then when score is around 24 (dont quote me) ... i was on the floor F...N miserable myself when the Dr came in and told me to say ahhhh
... slapped an orange flavored film under my tongue & within 20 minutes I could have skipped out of the office .
You will feel better
you will not feel like using anything else because this shit is good !
you will be more alert than you have in years
you will look people in the eyes for first time in years
basically this will get your life back.
but ... start to taper as fast as you can ... listen to your body and take just enough each day to keep boogie man away.
use exacto knife to cut into 16 pieces and keep a log.
That will become your maintenance dose .... hopefully less than 2mg a day!! ..... get help in meetings .... 12 step and pray
good luck ... keep me posted for any questions ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow..
thanks for your story tiny - and the feedback, encouragement y'all!
I lost everything years ago but like i said i had cleaned up for a few one and
married, i have a great job but i'm miserable and i know where this is going!!!
I am trying to get in and on before i lose all this - which is inevitable (as y'all know)
Thanks again - i'll look up the poppies and cow and keep ya posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You definitely should call and find out if you are being induced on the day of your appointment. I've been to 4 different Sub docs and all of them have the patient come in for an initial consultation and then schedule an appointment for an induction. If all you are having is a consultation there is no need to be in withdrawal. So don't be embarrassed to call, you really need to know.
Good luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok - called today....
she told me that i should plan on being there at least two hours, she would like to hear my story, evaluate me and my symptoms then write me a prescription which i will have to go fill then come back and take the 1st dose in front of her, i guess followed by further evaluation.
she said that she will probably start me on two doses a day (18mgs) then go from there.

i'm anxious, excited and scared - i pray that i no longer have to chase this dragon as of monday afternoon.
so sick and tired!!

i do have a question?
will this subo just take away the sickness enough to "make me well" as we say? or is there a "high" along with it?
i mean.. i not looking for the high, just to change my life and insert HOPE but i am curious?

thanks again y'all

Bags :o <--- hopeful guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Made my last batch (i hope) of poppy tea this morning, i go to the clinic Monday.
When i get there it will be about 48 hours since last use! I hope thats long enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey y'all

had my 1st visit today and all went well:
after a couple of hours with the doctors aid going over my story, condition and information the doctor came in and talked briefly then gave me a script.
i went and got the script, returned and dosed in front of the nurse, after about 30 minutes i did'n feel better but i did'n feel worse so they had me take the 2nd dose and 30 minutes later the pain and obsession were gone......... I feel Great!!!
you were right mac, i whistled on my way out!! i hope this is the start of a new life filled with hope.

my suggestion to anyone, especially anyone coming off poppy addiction is go in for induction 48 hours into withdrawals - its tough but i feel great today!

thanks again everyone

Bags

Post subject: good first step bag man
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:37 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

hey bags ... good on ya mate !! .... made great first day. Now I wanna ask ya ?
Why do you think you feel so GREAT ?
Felt like shit, scared , chasing the poppy then like I said .... two magic strips and BAM .... you feel like a brand new self !
I'll tell you why .... because SUB IS STRONG !!!
20xs stronger than morphine ... this forum filled with people trying to get off sub. SOOOOOOOOO ......
Please do yourself a favor .... and TRUST ME .... start to cut those things up into tiny pieces and take slivers only as needed.
18 mgs a day ! .... way too much .... you probably feel like your on speed too.
Start a log .... remember feeling better is a sliver away and don't take any until you are full on withdrawl again.
you need to get down to feeling good taking less than 3 or 2 grams a day.
anybody out there agree or disagree ?
I'm here for ya bags .... i'll check every day.
GOD BLESS YA .... you are doing the right thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for your support and feedback - truly grateful
Mac, i'm sure your right and speak from experience but i guess at this time i'm gonna follow directions...
i'm 50 years old and been fighting this dragon since i was a teenager, so just for now i'm gonna do what they tell me to do. the doctor and nurse talked of a two year program and after 35 years of doing it my way, i think i'll listen to them. two years does not sound bad or even long in the scheme of this on my life. of course my whole outlook is daily and for now i'll enjoy the sunshine.

Bags