It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello, I just signed up on this website after seeing the youtube videos on suboxone. I have taken 80-100mg hydrocodone/day (8-10 10mg/325mg pills) for 2 years, and going to induction appointment next Saturday. I know this isn't a tremendous amount like some people, but it's enough to have a problem and have horrible withdrawls if I don't have them. I had an appointment to get on suboxone 4 months ago, and ended up canceling it because I got scared about precipitated withdrawls after reading the horror stories online. So I tried to taper on my own and just can't do it, so I've decided I am not going to waste another 4 months, which I'm sure will turn into 4 years, and I'm going to get on suboxone. I know I have to be in withdrawls to start on suboxone, but would it make the transition a little easier if I try to taper down to half or so of what I normally take throughout this next week? Or should I just take what I normally take and stop taking any pills the day before? I know there isn't an exact number of hours, and you are supposed to rely on the COWS score, but does anyone have a ballpark number of how many hours is appropriate to be off of hydrocodone so I won't get the precipitated withdrawl? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

first off, welcome to the forum.
and congrats on wanting to change the 'pattern' your stuck in

in your case, your lucky cuz vicodin has a pretty short half life (time it takes to leave the body)
I would think 24 hours would be plenty of time to be able to induce, and not have precipitated w/d. BUT Im no doctor.
before I was induced, I was on methadone, and the doc wanted me to try and stop 3-4 days before, to make sure and not have precipitated w/d.
well Im here to tell you, if I could have 'skipped' 4 days of my drug(s) what the hell did I need him for??? LOL

I only quit for about 30 hours, but I HAD tapered down just before also, which I think helped alot. and I did not go into precipitated withdrawl.

So if you CAN taper a lil, thatd probably be good, but if you cant, I wouldnt worry too much.
I would keep at least 24 hours between your last vic and your induction.

hope I helped.
and Im just trying to make sugestions, I dont know for sure, k?

This forum has helped me alot, I think it would help you too, if you stick around!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You shouldn't have any trouble going from your current doses of Vicoden to Suboxone, provided you're in mild to moderate wd, of course.

Personally, I waited 24 hours before I took my first Suboxone. I was taking about twice as much Vicoden per day as you are before I got on Suboxone.

The COWS scale is the real standard, though. I would tell you not to judge yourself on the COWS scale, have someone else do it for you. We tend to score ourselves higher than we should.

Within 30 minutes of taking my first dose of Suboxone I was feeling pretty dang good.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the replies! Ok, I'm glad to know that I don't have to go days without taking any pills before inducing because I wouldn't make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've cut down the past 2 wks using oxycodone hoping it would help. Took my last one at 9pm(a few hours ago) I start my sub tomorrow evening. Not sure if it makes a difference if you cut back or not. I'll be almost 24 hrs without when I take the sub. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm scared shitless :cry:

Post subject: TAURUS...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:28 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Taurus wrote:
Thanks for the replies! Ok, I'm glad to know that I don't have to go days without taking any pills before inducing because I wouldn't make it.

I would not think you would have to taper down at all...I was taking 15-20 vicodin a day and my doctor told me to wait 12
hours from my last vicodin before I took the sub. I had no problem at all and began to feel really great in about 30 minutes. If you are worried you could wait a little longer....but I remember I went to sleep one night after taking vicodin all day and woke up about 6 and took the sub. This was my first doctor and she did not dose in the office, however, and If I had known at that time about PW...I might have waited a little longer...

Welcome and keep in touch with us...
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

AbetterLife wrote:
I've cut down the past 2 wks using oxycodone hoping it would help. Took my last one at 9pm(a few hours ago) I start my sub tomorrow evening. Not sure if it makes a difference if you cut back or not. I'll be almost 24 hrs without when I take the sub. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm scared shitless :cry:

Yes, please let us know how it goes. I'm nervous too and it helps to hear that someone else got through it ok. How many mgs were you normally taking and how much did you cut back to? I am dreading the day before and the morning of my induction because I know I will feel like crap. I usually cannot get out of bed until at least half hour after I take a pill. I can't imagine getting up and getting ready without taking one that morning, much less, not talking a bunch the day before...Uggghhh!!! I know I'll look horrible and feel like a weirdo walking into that doctor's office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dude, don't worry about what you're gonna look like going into your doctor's office. So what if you look like hell? I know I looked like 12 miles of bad road at my first Suboxone appointment, but I didn't care.

Try to think of how good you're going to feel once you get on Suboxone and think of how nice it's going to be to put the brakes on active addiction.

It is SO worth it.

Post subject: Dosing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh I have another question. I've heard that people who taper off don't start feeling withdrawls until the 2nd or 3rd day...so if the half life is so long, why don't we dose every other day instead of once or twice daily so we are not using more suboxone than we need?

Also, I'm going to ask my doctor at induction if I can get subutex instead of suboxone, mainly to save money, and also because I heard the naloxone causes headaches. I'm just wondering if doctors don't like to prescribe this because they get some kind of compensation from the manufacturer or something for prescribing suboxone instead. I've never been an IV user, in fact I have a needle phobia and will do anything to avoid even seeing a needle, so I don't see why I couldn't get the generic. I just have a feeling the doctor will resist for some reason.