It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everybody!

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I started on subutex this morning with 4mg after taking H for a few months to help get me off of it. After a lot of research I think I started on too high a dose.

I was wondering if tomorrow I could just take 1mg and work from there or do I need to start the whole process over and wait for withdrawls? Im on a 2 week time frame here and was in a desperate state this morning when starting on the subutex.

Thanks!!

Qtip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 pm 

Hey qtip,

If ur afraid that 4mg is too high a dose for u, then when u start to take ur next dose, just start then with the dose u think is best for u. Maybe u should ask ur doctor also, I'd definitely want to keep him in the loop.

But yeah, no big deal, u can start with ur new dose tomorrow. Keep in mind though, u wanna make sure ur taking a dose strong enough to kick any cravings u have. If 1mg does the trick, then cool. Hope that answers ur question. Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 pm 

Yes, you could take 1 mg tomorrow and your body will eventually settle with the lower amount. Buprenorphine has a half life of 48 to 72 hours so that initial dose will slowly go decrease and you will be down to a steady state of 1 mg in a few days.

Jenn's advice is awesome, so listen to her!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks guys for responding!

So I woke up this morning feeling awful with W/D coming back again or something? Very sweaty (which i got all day yesterday anyway) Cramped legs and nausea were the new ones. This was about 22 hours after my initial 4mg dose of Subutex.

I tried doing 1mg and waited about 40 minutes but the symptoms didn't go away so I took another 1MG and waited 30 minutes and nothing so I took another 1MG and then felt ok. I think I didn't wait long enough in between the doses to properly check and will try 1 or 2 again tomorrow morning. Iv been taking 0.25mg of Xanax every now and again for sleeping and anxiety. My anxiety is why I started in the first place :( Im not using a doctor for this I am doing this on my own as it would take forever to sign up to a doctor over ehre get a prescription and I started on my own.

Best

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm not a doctor and lord knows I've mixed all kinds of drugs together that I shouldn't have but I'm pretty sure benzos and suboxone or subutex aren't supposed to mix. I was taking klonopin when I first went to go see my sub doctor and he couldn't even legally write me a script of suboxone because of the klonopin being in my system. You don't want to have your heart stopping on you.... Just wanted to add that in there. But, be sure to talk to your doctor and let him/her know what your plans are with your dosage and how you would like your treatment to go. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hippie mama

It's not illegal to write a script for Benzos while on sub. I have been on Xanax and sub for 18months. The SALES REP for sub strongly advises not to do it.

Your doctor was covering his butt by telling you that.

There is a definite risk when people are taking large amounts of Benzos But not for people who take small amounts as a way to control anxiety etc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:16 pm 

Me too. I don't take the xanax every day so a 30 count of .25 will last me around 4 months. I had a track record of not abusing xanax before I was on maintenance meds for opiate addiction, so my addiction doctor, who now handles all of my prescriptions, was fine with continuing to write me the occasional script for xanax.

Your doctor probably is using the made up "law" so that you think it's out of his hands. There are plenty of other doctors who prescribe sub who won't also give a script for xanax. Both the opiate component of the suboxone and the xanax are CNS (central nervous system) depressants and respiratory depressants. The few cases of death while taking suboxone most likely involves other CNS depressants like alcohol and/or benzos like xanax. When taken in combination one must be careful! But it's not illegal.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have often wondered why buprenorphine and a benzo (clonazepam) inspire such concern in prescribing physicians. They do it all of the time at pain centers (prescribing benzos and full agonist opiates). It would seem logical that buprenorphine would be the safest opiate-derived drug to prescribe with benzo's (the benzo's prescibed on a PRN basis only).
It's just something that I have often wondered about. I am not strongly opinionated about it. I do suffer from panic episodes my sub Dr. writes me eight (.5 mg) clonazepam every two months.
Back before the suboxone days, when I was in full blown addiction, and doctor shopping, it was nothing for a physicain to prescribe benzos right along side oxycodone.
What has caused this ......stigma?......to be attached to bupeprenorphine and benzos (within strict prescribing guidelines). Anyway, I haven't posted in a while and figured that I would say something. Y'all have a great weekend!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:21 am 

I just wanted to add that it's great to hear from you, TennTom!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:28 am 

What is causing this? I think it is fear. Fear in some clinics orcDrs offices that to give an addict anything more than Buprenorphine defeats the purpose of geting said addict clean?..

My clinic is just like this. NO benzos, but also no everything else too.. the sheet of off limit drugs are two pages loug.

And ya Tenn T, Stigma is Always right there too....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya know, I have been wondering about this myself. I have a friend who has been prescribed I think 1mg of klonopin per day. Not a strong dose, but I do feel she needs it (but of course I'm not a doctor). She's been on this dose about a year and a half. Problem is, she is a BAD opiate addict. I had thought about trying to help get her in to a clinic, but as I found out, NOOO BENZOS ALLOWED at the clinic I go to. She would not be able to do the daily methadone clinics. So, what are her options then? Will some Dr's still treat her with BUP since she is on a fairly low dose of Klonopin? Maybe she would be able to taper from the Klonopin, but I'm not sure. Any info here would be greatly appreciated!