It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 1st day on suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
Today is my first day taking suboxone after a 8 year habit of taking 10 to 12 Vicodins a day, I took my first dose of Sub. 1/2 of an 8mg after being in withdrawal I felt it within 10 mins. and the body aches were gone. About 1 hour later I felt it even stronger and started to nod off, my ears were plugged and I had a bad headache and felt nervous while i was at work, I went home and slept it off. It has been 12 hours since I took my first dose and I feel great with no withdrawals or cravings. My question is what amount should I take so I don't go through what I did today????? Please help I am scared to take my next dosage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi new life start,

It's not that uncommon for those first couple of doses to hit you kind of hard, you'll adjust pretty quickly....maybe a few days or so.

You could try taking 2mg and see how that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Romeo,
I have not needed to take a second dose, and its been 24 hrs since I took my first 4mg dose. I was wondering do I need to take it the same time every day? the Doctor told me to take 4mg in the morning and 4mg in the afternoon. The 4mg was way to strong. Can I take my 2nd dose of 2mg when I start to feel the withdrawals? I am feeling good right now and I have not had any cravings, and now I am kind of scared to take it again because it got me so high, when I was taking the Vicodin I only took 2 at a time every 4 hours for the last 10 years.
Thank you for your support

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Dosing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:52 pm 

I am not a doctor, but 8mgs seems like too much for how many Vics you were taking. Maybe ask for the 2mg film strips and dose twice a day. They suggest taking it once a day but that may work better for you.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you well on your journey to recovery.

Rule62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

new life start, Were you phyisically dependent upon the vicodin, or were you addicted? It sounds like you were taking them as prescribed. If you were taking the vicodin despite negative consequences and doing anything to get it when you ran out, I could see a reason for sub. Are you taking sub. for pain? Other wise, I don't understand the need for sub. in your case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, STP

I was started on Vicodin after a workers comp injury, the case was closed and I was left with no pills after 3 years of daily use. I started buying from a lady and I was spending $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 a month I never went more than a day without and wanted to quit for financial reasons, the pain I have is just low back pain but I can live with it. I went to the doctor and explained my problems and she told me to take 4mg 2xs a day I have not taken anymore since my first dose which was 28 hours ago. Am I over my withdrawals, I just feel a little tired but nothing like I felt the 18 hours having to wait to start the suboxone I have no one to ask and cant let my family know? If this is it and I am cured can I donate the pills I have I paid a lot of money for them and would feel horrible to flush after reading that people had to stop because they couldn't afford the medication.

Tara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do NOT flush or give the pills away just yet!! Suboxone has a half life of 37 hours.

If you can go for 5 or 6 days without taking anymore Suboxone, then I would say you're out of the woods. I would be surprised as hell, but heck, I've seen stranger things in my life.

Please, don't flush those pills or give them away, OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Morning Romeo,

I wanted to thank you for your reply to my post. The last and first dose I had was Friday 4mg at 12:30pm it is now Sunday at 11:00 am and I have no craving or withdrawals symptoms at all. I know a lot of it was my mind set on stopping the vicodins, because they controlled my life as well as my bank account. I am wondering if the Suboxone is able to be a one dosage miracle pill for people like me that were not chasing the high of opiates just filling the physical need to not have the withdrawal symptoms that are associated with stopping after a 8-10 year daily usage. I will let you know on Friday when it has been one week. I wish you, and all the others on this site the best. Happy Easter to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

New Life Start,

Happy Easter to you too!!

I absolutely look forward to hearing back from you, I SO hope that you don't need any more Suboxone!! That would be FANTASTIC!!!

Post subject: Don't do that!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Seriously, I say this with complete respect, but you do not need to take Suboxone long term...I think... An addiction to Vicodin I do not believe warrants taking Suboxone very long at all... I think the fact that it made you "so high" proves that. I was on 100 MG of methadone for years, and Suboxone has *never* made me hight in the slightest bit.

I can see why Suboxone is becoming more popular among opiate naive individuals and it so unfortunate, because it takes away the legitimacy of others taking it who actually need it. Law enforcement are beginning to get this idea that it makes everybody high as a kite!

I am not saying you don't need it, just that I think if you were to stay on it for a long time, that would be a shame because you probably do not need to. Vicodin is relatively easy to come off of as far as withdrawals go, and Suboxone will no doubt be more difficult.

However!!! If you were "addicted" to Vicodin and exhibited addict behavior, then maybe being "dependent" on Suboxone without the addict behavior is a good thing.....

You make the call....

I wish you the best of luck.