It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone! I'm 31 weeks and my 1st OB appointment since decision to stay on subs is tomorrow. Can someone give me a list of info I need to give her and/or what I need to find out? I have an idea and have done alot of research since last friday when i got a new sub doc and decided best for me not to b n withdrawals rt now. (I am allowed 4mg/day but will try to get to 2mg/day) But now im so stressed about all the loose ends- 'unkowns' right now - so much im unsure of. This is the most critical appt. so far and I need to take care of as much as i can related to labor/delivery on subs. I want to be prepared as much as I possibly can. I need peace of mind!

Here is the list I've made from info I've found on these forums ... Can someone who been through this or has knowledge of my situation give me feedback on any additional things I need to add to take care of? Or 'ok' it if it's sufficient?

**1. find out hospital policy on baby's born to sub patients
a. Will they automatically keep her in nicu regardless of whether she's shown symptoms? CAN I FIGHT THAT?
b. Will they automatically call CPS and CAN I PREVENT THAT?
**2. find out pain management protocol during &after labor
**3. discuss fear of negative treatment due to being on subs when I deliver
**4. Give doc copy of MOTHER study

Anything else?? Links? Additional info i can give doc that might b helpful?? Additional info I need to ask about??

Thank u for any help! I hope this doesn't get deleted!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:57 pm 
Hey there,

A few other things you may want to ask about are emergency protocol, i.e. C section. Since almost 1/3 of babies are c section, many emergency, you may want to find out about that. The anesthesiologist will have to be informed and they will need to take your sub use into account. No one ever plans for a c section but you just never know. You may also want to research or find out about the whole breast feeding thing if you plan to go that route. I've read pro and anti breast feeding on sub info. My main concern would be what kinds of things to watch for as far as NAS, what the protocol is if the baby does exhibit any NAS and, of course, the roll of CPS. I think it varies by state but I'm pretty sure if you are prescribed sub CPS is minimally involved, if at all.

Hope this helps. I know ontoolong probably has some knowledge on this so hopefully she'll post too. Good luck and try to enjoy this time.

Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi! YES thank u that helps a lot. My appt was rescheduled so I'm still waiting... I haven't found a pediatrician yet who accepts my insurance - getting bak to that today. I'm wondering how to tackle the issue with him/her... Learning as I go! Is it the pediatrician- head or head of neonatology at the hospital I'm supposed to deliver at the main one who will handle these issues rt after birth?

Thanks for helping me it sure cuts down on the apprehension!