It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all! Been a while since I've been on & posted! I am happy to say it's been almost 4 months, 116 days to be precise, since I quit Subs! Whoo-hoo! Wow, I never thought I'd be here! Feels great!

So, the w/d is just a memory. I never really suffered from PAWS, just a lack of motivation. But that is at about 85% I'd say.

The really annoying thing though is that since I've been completely off the Subs, I have gotten sick. ie. colds, congestion, sore throat, stuff like that, 5-6 times already! I'll be sick for a week, then fine for a few weeks, and then sick. While I was on Subs, 6 years mind you, I NEVER got sick. Nothing. Was healthy as a horse. Only sickness was w/d when I ran out of the Subs. Also, I eat healthy, drink tons of water, and force myself to exercise atleast 5 times a week.

So my question is for anyone/everyone that has been off Subs for a while: Has this happened to you?

Is is related to me kicking Subs? Maybe my immune system is low? Or is it just my body being "normal" again, and no opiates in it? Or did the Subs just mask any illness, and I was too whacked out on them to even notice? :)
I've tried googling this, but the only stuff I find is related to w/d sickness. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey CasiLibreQ,

Congratulations on 116 days off of Suboxone!!! WOO-HOO is right!!!

I know the feeling of "never thinking I would be there" either. Somedays it's like I still have to pinch myself to realize I'm off opiates. :wink:

About the constant sickness.....been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. A few of us started a thread a while back on this subject exactly. To the best of my recollection, I think my "sicknesses" wore off around 8 months or something like that. I don't know why several of us who got off Suboxone seemed to get sick a lot in the begininng, but it is something that happened to seveal of us.

If I can find the original thread, I'll post a link to it later on.

Oh Yeah, your theory of being too whacked out to feel any sickness while on opiates is the conclusion I came to also. I clearly remember early on in my opiate "career" using opiates when I felt sick to make me feel all better. I'm 99.9% sure I was still sick, I just didn't feel anything cuz I was happy and stoned. LOL

Wow, I can't believe I found that other thread already....here it is: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3726

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah I'm familiar with this one. The last time I went opioid free, the first 6 months I was stuck in an environment where bugs just keep going around and around. It was an early-recovery petri dish. I woulda got sick a few times in 6 months. And it was really hard to shake the sickness.

There's apparently a strong link between endorphins and immune function. So when your opioid system's not working at its optimum, your immune system isn't working too well either. Give it time. This issue resolves. I'd go as far as saying that it's a symptom of PAWS.

Another interesting thing was that for me... while I was in full blown addiction, I didn't feel like I got sick. At all. Perhaps I did but was too wasted to realise? Or maybe I had so many toxins floating around my body even the germs refused to drop by.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thank You!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo - thanks for the kind words, info, and for finding that thread! :)

Opiates, the cure all for all life's ailments! LOL! Ah, it seemed like that in the beginning, but we all know where that road leads. It's funny, but I remembered when I first started using I had a terrible hangover, took a vicodin, and boom 1/2 hour later my hangover was gone!

Must've been the same idea while I was on the Subs. I probably got sick, just can't remember or didn't care.

Being sober & staying off has its struggles, but NOTHING beats waking up every day and knowing I am FREE!!! So I'll take having a cold, it's a small price to pay for freedom!

Thanks again Romeo & TeeJay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CasiLibreQ,

I meant to mention this in my previous post, but I forgot (yep, I've burned out more brain cells during my time on drugs than I thought!! LOL).

Once I got off of Suboxone, getting sick became one of my biggest triggers to use opiates. Everytime I got sick, I knew all I had to do was pop a few pills and BAM, I'd feel great. It was HARD to overcome that trigger.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention to you to be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats on 116 days! You made it!!

I personally haven't been sick since my detox, or in the last few years that i remember. My ability to heal and immune system must be great. I have however developed allergies, at least I think that's what it is. I sneeze a lot for no reason and have for months. Maybe it is a symptom of stopping suboxone. I don't really know.