It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ive been on suboxone for 3 years now and it has saved my life. But at one point i was down to 2 mgs but reinjured my bad knee and was put back on 16mgs a day for the pain and to stop my craveings cause this happen about 5 months into my treatment. over time i have got down to 12 mgs then down to 10mg. but i have been stuck on 10 for far to long and dont know what to do? Ive tryed many times to just take 8mgs a day an no matter what i do it just doesnt get me threw the day. ive tryed and tryed to deal with the later part of the day with out that extra 2 but always fail and take it.

any ideas on what i could do to get down to 8mg a day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

1. Why do you want to decrease your dose?

2. Are you taking your dose once per day? If not, when, how much each time, and how often do you take it?

3. When you take 8mg, and then you end up with the extra 2mg to hit 10mg, what is happening when you take the extra 2?

More explanation would be helpful. I am sure others with have the same questions.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jackcrack wrote:
1. Why do you want to decrease your dose?

2. Are you taking your dose once per day? If not, when, how much each time, and how often do you take it?

3. When you take 8mg, and then you end up with the extra 2mg to hit 10mg, what is happening when you take the extra 2?

More explanation would be helpful. I am sure others with have the same questions.

Cherie

No problem i should of put more info on this topic my bad.

As of dose. i wake up and take 8mg around 12 then take the other 2mg at 7 to 8 after i eat dinner.

Basicly around 630pm my knee starts to have shooting pains and the pain gets so bad sometimes even after 3 years i have craveings on really bad days. so ill take the other 2mg to get threw the night till i fall a sleep. even if i try to deal with the pain and man up i cant fall alsleep cause my knee hurts so bad. but i get up and take that extra 2 ill fall asleep in 20 mins. an its not a head thing cause ive had knee pains for about 5 years now.

The main reason i want to lower my dose is becuase i feel the longer i stay on 10mgs the harder its gonna be to get down to 8 an one day i would like to be off suboxone all together but that cant happen if i cant even get down to 8 from 10 ya know. Thats why i bring this to the fourm to hear what my fellow sub takers can give me some info or something new to try.

thanks for replying man

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From what I understand and in my own experience, when you are taking sub for pain it works better if you take it every 6 hours to get maximum effect. The scary part of that is I don't want to take it that many times per day because it is a bad habit. So for pain, I tend to do what you do and take my standard dose in the morning, and the extra at night so I can sleep.

So long as you are having pain, what would you be doing for the pain if you weren't on suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've been on Subs since August and was originally prescribed 24...I have lowered my dose to 12-16MG....I used to take One when I got up and one more around 7-8 PM...I stopped doing that since the second dose I'd take would make me drowsy and sweaty. Now, I get up around 11-12 (I'm unemployed and used to be a bar tender so my hours have always been crazy...Don't judge me! lol) anyways I wait till around 2-3 and just take my whole dose then. Now, I don't even think about taking anymore. It works really well for me...Everyone's body is different though, just putting in my two cents! I hope everything works out, keep us posted! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I take suboxone for both addiction recovery as well as chronic pain control. I dose 3 times a day due to the pain issues. Jackcrack asked a good question, if you taper off, what will you do to treat your chronic pain?
Suboxone has made my pain not disappear totally, but it's made it tolerable, manageable. I foresee staying on it long term if not for the rest of my life. I simply have no other options when it comes to pain control. This is why we're asking what you might do if/when you stop the suboxone.

Keep us posted.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I take suboxone for both addiction recovery as well as chronic pain control. I dose 3 times a day due to the pain issues. Jackcrack asked a good question, if you taper off, what will you do to treat your chronic pain?
Suboxone has made my pain not disappear totally, but it's made it tolerable, manageable. I foresee staying on it long term if not for the rest of my life. I simply have no other options when it comes to pain control. This is why we're asking what you might do if/when you stop the suboxone.

Keep us posted.

Melissa

See thats my worst fear is what would happen if i stop suboxone. I was perscribed 160 mgs of oxy a day for a couple years and worked great for my pain but after a while, just numbed everything and i pretty much lost all control to my life,relationships,school,work and so fourth all i cared about was getting my script filled every month. i also am on suboxone for pain mang. and addiction recovery an this drug has done wonders for me,im back in school getting as and bs studying to be a drug couns., got my true friends back, my gurl, and most of all my family! It doesnt take all my pain away but it makes it easy to get threw the day with out worrying about my knee. But one day i would like to get off sub and not have to take pills everyday to cover pain up. Ive been on sub for 3 years now and just feel if i dont lower my dose soon its never gonna happen. at this point theirs nothing medical wise i could do for my knee so right now the answere is suboxone but what about 10 years from now or 20!

If i ever do stop suboxone ill just man up and deal with the pain cause one thing i know is ill never go back to narcotics no matter how bad the pain is! ive tryed methadone b4 and thats just not for me so it looks like ill be a lifer or just have to man up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear what you're saying Bboy, and I understand that you don't want to depend or rely on suboxone forever. I won't even attempt to tell you what's right or wrong, that's your decision and you know what's best for you.

But I would like to say there's no shame in taking suboxone. Every person deserves to live a life free of chronic pain. If we can't take opiate meds for fear of another round of active addiction, and suboxone addresses some or most of the pain, and we can stay in recovery, why not stay on it for an indefinite amount of time? Think about people with diabetes - they don't want to have to rely on giving themselves shots every day, but what's the alternative? I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it's a close analogy.

I also think if you're going to be on it for the time being - not deciding to take it forever - just for now, don't worry about how much you're taking. Just take the right amount to address your needs (cravings and pain). You can always taper down the road. Try not to get hung up on numbers - that's all the mg's are - numbers.

Like I said, in the end it's your choice and I'll support that choice - we all will.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:34 pm 
Hi Bboy. Sorry for your struggles. What a difficult thing to live with pain day in and day out. I wanted to suggest a couple of things for you. Forgive me if what I'm advising is something you've already tried or something that someone else has already suggested.
If your heart's desire is to reduce your Suboxone dose, then I'd like to see you succeed at that....if it's in your best interest in the first place. The way I would attack it, with the okay from my doctor, would be pretty simple.....instead of taking 8mg for that first dose, make it 6mg. Then take your usual second dose of 2mg in the evening before bed. That way your total for the day will be down to 8mg. I would be so surprised if this doesn't work just fine. It's a very slight reduction in total dose and I don't think you'll feel it much if at all. That would be what I'd try real quick....it may turn out to be so easy.
The other thing I would suggest is to look into alternative methods of pain painmanagement such as physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, even meditation and/or prayer for pain relief are beneficial for many with chronic pain.
Anyway, just a couple of ideas for you. Seems to me you've got to keep your pain at a manageable level in order for you to stay well. The best way that I'm aware of to do that is to stay on Suboxone taking it in divided doses throughout the day to provide more pain relief. So maybe just dropping each dose a little bit would allow you to bring your total daily dose down to a level that will be more acceptable to you, while at the same time keep you reasonably comfortable and keeping your disease of addiction in remission. Does that help at all or make sense? Hope so...
Let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I hear what you're saying Bboy, and I understand that you don't want to depend or rely on suboxone forever. I won't even attempt to tell you what's right or wrong, that's your decision and you know what's best for you.

But I would like to say there's no shame in taking suboxone. Every person deserves to live a life free of chronic pain. If we can't take opiate meds for fear of another round of active addiction, and suboxone addresses some or most of the pain, and we can stay in recovery, why not stay on it for an indefinite amount of time? Think about people with diabetes - they don't want to have to rely on giving themselves shots every day, but what's the alternative? I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it's a close analogy.

I also think if you're going to be on it for the time being - not deciding to take it forever - just for now, don't worry about how much you're taking. Just take the right amount to address your needs (cravings and pain). You can always taper down the road. Try not to get hung up on numbers - that's all the mg's are - numbers.

Like I said, in the end it's your choice and I'll support that choice - we all will.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Melissa

Hey melissa just so you know i dont think takeing suboxone for life is a bad thing didnt mean to sound like that if i did. im the same what ever works best for each person is what that person should do. as for you suboxone is a long term med maybe life but as long as it keeps you well then im all for it as the next person. But you are right i shouldnt look at the mgs like a number just a med at that certain amount. The only reason i dont want to take suboxone for ever is because im not gonna lie sub def dopes me up even after 3 years not like im high but as if with oxy i have to take it to rid the pain if you know what i mean. so at the end of the day im still relying on a pill to take my pain away. an i guess what im trying to say is i would like to find away to heel my pain with out takeing pills every day. whether that be surgery or another stint at PT or something along those lines.

But i do have to thankyou cause you open my eyes to realize right now keeping my pain in check and my addiction are more important then numbers. and even if i take 10mg for another 2 years i could always tapper down when im ready. so thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

setmefree wrote:
Hi Bboy. Sorry for your struggles. What a difficult thing to live with pain day in and day out. I wanted to suggest a couple of things for you. Forgive me if what I'm advising is something you've already tried or something that someone else has already suggested.
If your heart's desire is to reduce your Suboxone dose, then I'd like to see you succeed at that....if it's in your best interest in the first place. The way I would attack it, with the okay from my doctor, would be pretty simple.....instead of taking 8mg for that first dose, make it 6mg. Then take your usual second dose of 2mg in the evening before bed. That way your total for the day will be down to 8mg. I would be so surprised if this doesn't work just fine. It's a very slight reduction in total dose and I don't think you'll feel it much if at all. That would be what I'd try real quick....it may turn out to be so easy.
The other thing I would suggest is to look into alternative methods of pain painmanagement such as physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, even meditation and/or prayer for pain relief are beneficial for many with chronic pain.
Anyway, just a couple of ideas for you. Seems to me you've got to keep your pain at a manageable level in order for you to stay well. The best way that I'm aware of to do that is to stay on Suboxone taking it in divided doses throughout the day to provide more pain relief. So maybe just dropping each dose a little bit would allow you to bring your total daily dose down to a level that will be more acceptable to you, while at the same time keep you reasonably comfortable and keeping your disease of addiction in remission. Does that help at all or make sense? Hope so...
Let us know.

Yes that helps alot i never even looked at it like that. takeing 6 instead of 8. I have tryed other methods as of PT and Massages and they always seem to help that day but when i wake up the next day im still dealing with pain. But iam gonna talk to my dr about what you said to try with just takeing 6mg then my other 2mg to equal 8 instead 10. i really think that might be my best bet at getting down to 8 whether it be now or down the road. the only thing that sucks is like i said ive been on sub for 3 years so im at the point were i see my dr every other month cause ive never failed a UA,always on time and never aksed for more meds early or anything like that so he trust me. but i just saw him a couple days ago so i wont be able to talk about the reduce morning dose for a while. but i get 90 8s for those 2 months so ill have to stay on 10 till i could talk to him at my next app.

Im new to this fourm and just wanted to say thanks to all you guys an gals for being so kind and offering me your help i really fell welcome hear unlike so many other sub fourms were we are put down cause people think we traded one med for another!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy, please know I did not think you were saying it wasn't OK to be on sub long-term. i didn't take it that way at all.

Setmefree's ideas are great. Do you think if you tapered down to 8 mg they way she suggested on your own that your doc would be amendable to that? You could just break the pills accordingly, but if your doc is pretty strict, then yes, it might be best to wait for your next appt.

As for other methods of pain relief, if you're interested I posted a detailed explanation and beginning "how-to" on meditation, AKA self-hypnosis and/or guided imagery. In the beginning I - like many others - thought it was just a bunch of hooey. But I tried it as my therapist suggested and it works great for both anxiety and pain control. Big Red, a member here has started using it for his pain control and he's said he's having really good results from it.
So if you're interested, I posted it under "Chronic Pain". I know it may sound silly, cliche', trendy, whatever, but honestly, it can work wonders. I've even used it to lower my blood pressure. If you decide to check it out and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Whatever you do I wish you success. :D Keep on keeping us posted.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
Bboy, please know I did not think you were saying it wasn't OK to be on sub long-term. i didn't take it that way at all.

Setmefree's ideas are great. Do you think if you tapered down to 8 mg they way she suggested on your own that your doc would be amendable to that? You could just break the pills accordingly, but if your doc is pretty strict, then yes, it might be best to wait for your next appt.

As for other methods of pain relief, if you're interested I posted a detailed explanation and beginning "how-to" on meditation, AKA self-hypnosis and/or guided imagery. In the beginning I - like many others - thought it was just a bunch of hooey. But I tried it as my therapist suggested and it works great for both anxiety and pain control. Big Red, a member here has started using it for his pain control and he's said he's having really good results from it.
So if you're interested, I posted it under "Chronic Pain". I know it may sound silly, cliche', trendy, whatever, but honestly, it can work wonders. I've even used it to lower my blood pressure. If you decide to check it out and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Whatever you do I wish you success. :D Keep on keeping us posted.

Yea my doc is pretty crazy about doseing. just cause im also on it for pain mang. and he knows how bad my pain is so he wouldnt want me to try lowering with out his help just cause like i said when my pain gets so bad i still crave after 3 years of sub use.

can you post the link to you thread. im still learning how to navigate around this site!

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bboy42287,

Work has been crazy so I am just getting back to your post. I like the ideas hatmaker and setmefree gave you. They pretty much cover all the options. So I would like to add that if you ever decide to start or try meditation (or they say even yoga is good for learning pain control) that you could try these and get the hang of them. Then, once it seems they are helping, it will be easier to drop that dose just like was recommended to you. I do think that finding another method to use in conjunction with the sub will be your best option. Once that really starts working, you will know it and it will be easier to drop in dose.

I take sub for pain and addiction too so I understand where you are coming from. It is kind of scary because you know pain killers will never be an option. I am starting to learn meditation and the reason I chose to do that is because my pain is only going to get worse as I get older, whether from my current conditions or brand new ones. Although I am happy with sub for now and my chronic pain issues, I will never know when the situation could change and I want to have a good solid back up plan that is already working just in case. Plus there are other benefits to the meditation as well.

I wish you success in your endeavors. I think you will find, if you stick around, people around here will support you whole heartedly in the decisions you make for yourself so long as they don't think you are endangering your recovery. No bashing for sub here :)

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's the link to the self-hypnosis topic:

http://www.suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1582

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jackcrack wrote:
Bboy42287,

Work has been crazy so I am just getting back to your post. I like the ideas hatmaker and setmefree gave you. They pretty much cover all the options. So I would like to add that if you ever decide to start or try meditation (or they say even yoga is good for learning pain control) that you could try these and get the hang of them. Then, once it seems they are helping, it will be easier to drop that dose just like was recommended to you. I do think that finding another method to use in conjunction with the sub will be your best option. Once that really starts working, you will know it and it will be easier to drop in dose.

I take sub for pain and addiction too so I understand where you are coming from. It is kind of scary because you know pain killers will never be an option. I am starting to learn meditation and the reason I chose to do that is because my pain is only going to get worse as I get older, whether from my current conditions or brand new ones. Although I am happy with sub for now and my chronic pain issues, I will never know when the situation could change and I want to have a good solid back up plan that is already working just in case. Plus there are other benefits to the meditation as well.

I wish you success in your endeavors. I think you will find, if you stick around, people around here will support you whole heartedly in the decisions you make for yourself so long as they don't think you are endangering your recovery. No bashing for sub here :)

Cherie

Hey man thanks for getting back to me on this thread. Yea u said it "kind of scary knowing painkillers will never be an option. I am starting to learn meditation and the reason I chose to do that is because my pain is only going to get worse as I get older, whether from my current conditions or brand new ones. Although I am happy with sub for now and my chronic pain issues, I will never know when the situation could change and I want to have a good solid back up plan that is already working just in case."

thats my worst fear sub is working now but im only 22 whats gonna happen when im 50 and my knee gets to the point were it was b4 were i couldnt even walk some days with out 160mg of oxy contin. I know theirs thing i could do now while im young but like u said we dont know the pain that will endore once r bodys start to go due to age. As of now im gonna stick with suboxone for long term but im gonna take it each day at a time till i find another way. def gonna talk to the doc next app about lowering my mornin dose to 6mg then take my other 2mg after dinner. and see what he thinks but till then im not gonna play with anything without drs permission.

Ill def be sticking with this fourm for ever the people hear are so nice and understand me and what im going threw unlike other sites were i hear all i did for my pain was switch drugs.