It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 102 days Later....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:19 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am writing this post out of sheer gratitude for the help this forum gave me. After doing some sole searching and reading a few insightful books on addiction (Dr. Gabor Maté's book In the Realm of Hungr Ghost's) changed my life and outlook. I highly recommend the audio version on Audible or any audio format. The lingering effects of the 3 year suboxone/6 year total opiate effects are a meer whisper as opposed to a constant noise in my life. The fact is they will never go away, but that's ok.

It's this "noise" that led me to look for external relief from stress and discomfort in life. As infants and growing up our neuronal pathways were configured PRIMARILY based on our environment (not our genes!). If there was stress at home (even if there was love) it effected how our incentive/motivation, attachment/reward circuits were literarily wired. If our brains don't produce sufficient amounts of dopamine we will naturally look elsewhere. I had a stressful environment growing up, my wife did not. She can't understand why I would continue to "use" when I don't "want" to. She can internally self regulate, I look for external stimuli for relief/satisfaction.

It's ironic, the drugs themselves are not addicting- it's the temporary satisfaction of the dopamine/serotonin activation they produce that we are looking for. Is a pack of cards intrinsically addicting? No. If you are a gambling addict then it's a different story. The silver lining is we can-through awareness, honesty, compassion towards our selves- change or re-wire our brains. I am sorry for the long post, but I want people to know this and look into it yourselves. Look up Social Neuroscience and pick up the above mentioned book. Please, it will help with not only addiction, but Life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, no need to apologize for the long post. Thanks for sharing that book. Those are some points to ponder. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

that hit me in the-". subsavedme it's what i'm going through with my family right now. i have been on subs for all most 3 years and the longer i stay on it i don't no if i am getting sicker or better baised on my family becouse i would like to beleave that they don;t get the treatment like i do becouse they don;t think there sick or beleave in treatment. it's just so f'n twisted with my family and i can not stay away from them becouse i'm addicted to them also :lol: my therapist is taking so long to start to see where i am at with my family and i have been seeing him for 7 months. sorry about my shit but man you hit it on the nail in alot of points.